Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to use multiple different PF db?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to use multiple different PF db?

Hi,
    In my company (Exchange 2010 SP1) we already store more than 1TB of data in a public folder single database which violates the capacity planning guidelines and indeed the end-user complains about the slow performance.
    Is it possisble to store public folders content in multiple database?
    For example to define each set of folders on a different DB and by doing that to reduce the size of the DB?
    Note that I'm not reffering to clustering or mirroring but to store different PF on different DB instances.
    If not possible, which scalability options does EX offer to support large PF repositorires?

Thanks!

Re: Is it possible to use multiple different PF db?

IIRC you can have a separate PF database per Mailbox database, but that is probably not what you want

Have you considered mail enabled SharePoint lists as an alternative?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,
      SharePoint is my experty, in most of the cases - moving large repositories of mails into SP is not a good practice (mostly due to UX consierations), MS itself launched just now the site mailbox in SP 2013 which displays inside SP sites mails from Exchange.

Is the "DB per Mailbox database" a replication (copies of the same data) or can be completely different DB which stores different public folders?

10x.

Comment

The content is up to you -- normally replicated but doesnt have to be.

IIRC there is a way you can access content in a "non-linked" PF database but I can't remember the details.

2013 looks better as you sasy
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,
          Thanks for your kind feedback, I want to make sure that I got it:
          Can I open two different PF DB where each store different Public Folders?

Thanks again.
          Last edited by yonatann; 17th December 2012, 09:55.

Comment

You can, but a specific mailbox database will be associated with one of them only. so in Outlook that is the only set you will see.

I am sure there is a way of seeing the other (possibly in OWA) but I can't remember how and my skills have failed to show it.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X