Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backing up EX 2010 on Backup Exec 2010 that sits on a 32 bit server. Need help thanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up EX 2010 on Backup Exec 2010 that sits on a 32 bit server. Need help thanks

So we upgraded do Exchange 2010 and after weeks of preparation everything is going smooth.

One small problem. Backup Exec 2012 is not capable of backing up Exchange 2010 if it running on a 32bit machine. The error you get is "This operation is not supported on 32-bit Backup Exec servers because Microsoft does not support 32-bit Exchange Management Tools for Exchange Server 2010. You must use a 64-bit Backup Exec server for this operation."

After doing some digging I found that you apparently CAN back up exchange you just can't use GRT which is Granular Recovery Technology. This allows us to go into the backups and select specific mailboxes or databases.

I really need to find a workaround for this.

Some ideas that have come to mind:

1) Installing BE 2012 on a 64 bit virtual machine and using the 32bit server (where BE is currently installed) to connect to the tape drive.
    The problem here appears to be SCSI can not be used for Shared Storage Option.

The question I have is there any tools or plugins I can use to accomplish this.

2) Installing BE 2012 on a 64 bit virtual machine. Pointing all the backups to our SAN, then using the 32bit server to copy the information to the tapes.

The question I have here is does anyone know what kind of software I would need to accomplish this, or if its even possible. What are some drawbacks to this method?

If anyone has ever run into this issue and has some information that could be helpful please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Backing up EX 2010 on Backup Exec 2010 that sits on a 32 bit server. Need help th

You can't just reload the 32bit server with a 64bit OS and re-install BackupExec?
    Is there a way to export existing policies/jobs etc so you get back up and running fairly easily?
    Failing that is the SCSI a card, can't you move that to a new server?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Backing up EX 2010 on Backup Exec 2010 that sits on a 32 bit server. Need help th

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      You can't just reload the 32bit server with a 64bit OS and re-install BackupExec?
      Is there a way to export existing policies/jobs etc so you get back up and running fairly easily?
      Failing that is the SCSI a card, can't you move that to a new server?
      First of all thank you for your reply.

The server is too old to have a 64bit operating system.

As far as exporting jobs from one server to the other I'm sure its not "easy" but definitely possible. There is a database that holds all the information for the tapes and the backups. I would have to somehow move that to the new server. They most likely already have some sort of mechanism in place for this.

The SCSI cable is proprietary to the robotic library. What makes matters worse is that it is only 2 feet long. It can barely connect to the 32bit server. We tried using a longer cable before from the same company and it just failed, we ended up going back to the original. Now we no longer have warranty on the Robotic library.

However all this can be fixed if I found a way to tunnel the data.

I was told by a Symantec tech that a NDMP license would allow me to use by 32bit server a tunnel if I built another 64bit server and put BE on it.

Comment

If you build a new BackupExec server you can migrate your backup jobs and selection lists from the old server to the new server. You can right click each job and selection list, select copy, and select the option to "copy to other media servers".

I've done this when building new BackupExec servers to replace old servers. Just take note that BackupExec will create a copy job that has a 10 minute time limit (that isn't adjustable) so if you have large selection lists (many servers) the copy job may time out before it completes copying the selection list to the new server.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          If you build a new BackupExec server you can migrate your backup jobs and selection lists from the old server to the new server. You can right click each job and selection list, select copy, and select the option to "copy to other media servers".

I've done this when building new BackupExec servers to replace old servers. Just take note that BackupExec will create a copy job that has a 10 minute time limit (that isn't adjustable) so if you have large selection lists (many servers) the copy job may time out before it completes copying the selection list to the new server.
          Thank you for your reply.

Honestly migrating Backup Exec 2012 is not really a concern.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get the backups to my tape library. It's connected to a 32bit machine. I COULD make a 64bit machine and put Backup Exec on it. But I have no way of connecting the library to anything other then that 32bit machine. It has the SCSI connector and the cable is very short which means its about the only thing I can connect it to.

Comment

if you install Backup Exec 2012 on a virtual machine and want to use the tape library located on the physical server here is a few of the requirements.

Backup devices that are connected to the host can be connected to the virtual machine using SCSI Pass Through, however there are certain limitations that need to be considered:

The tape hardware must be connected to a VMWare-supported Adaptec SCSI controller.
            The tape hardware must be SCSI ID addressed and cannot be LUN addressed.
            The virtual and physical SCSI Id's must match each other.
            Fiber connected tape devices are not supported.
            Tape devices cannot be connected to RAID controllers.
            Tape devices should not share a BUS with any other non-tape device, and should be given their own dedicated SCSI controller.
            The SCSI controller for the guest VM should be configured as a LSI Logic SCSI card and not the BUS logic card.
            BUS sharing must be disabled.

This type of connection is an alternative configuration. which means there is no obligation by Symantec to provide support.

Comment

I'd turn off GRT as it is next to useless. Problem solved.

With properly configured retention policies I've never in my life had to restore a mailbox or mail item. If I ever did need this it's straightforward to use the Recovery Database anyway. Brick level backups of Exchange are pretty useless and an inefficient use of backup space/time IME.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                I'd turn off GRT as it is next to useless. Problem solved.

With properly configured retention policies I've never in my life had to restore a mailbox or mail item. If I ever did need this it's straightforward to use the Recovery Database anyway. Brick level backups of Exchange are pretty useless and an inefficient use of backup space/time IME.
                Thank you for your reply.

It appears I was wrong. Even without GRT you can not back it up unless it is a 64 bit. I read in a forum post on Symantec forum that you could but that was completely wrong.

Comment

OK, then rebuild the server with 64 bit OS or buy a new one.

If you are GENUINELY running a server so old that it will not support a 64bit OS as your only backup server in a production environment, then you deserve everything you get. It must be at least 8-10 years old if that is the case, possibly more. Most modern servers have SAS rather than SCSI natively, but a SCSI card is less than 100 anytime I've specced one recently - they don't need to be fancy or have RAID capability to hook up a tape drive.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X