Clear All

• Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2013 - OAB asking for username and password

I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

Environment:
    AD Domain running on W2K8 r2
    Exchange 2010 SP2
    Office 2013

Problem:
    When launching Outlook 2013, it is connected, however when it reaches the point where it downloads the OAB, it prompts me for my user name and password.

Note: When I provide the credentials, it works! It's just annoying and prompts me for my domain password every time I open Outlook.

What I've done:
    -Rebuilt the Offline Address Book and OAB virtual directories.
    -Verified correct permissions, Read and Read and Execute granted to web.config file in the OAB directory
    -Verified OAB IIS authentication set correctly
    -Verified OAB id as correct when running Test E-mail Autoconfiguration
    -Verified no issues when running Remote Connectivity Analyzer
    *Remove mail profile locally on computer each time a change was made to ensure it would pull the OAB and generate an ost each time.

Does anyone have a clue why it is requiring me to type in my credentials instead of just passing them through?

Re: Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2013 - OAB asking for username and password

Also, I've enabled troubleshooting logging in Outlook and it isn't providing any useful information. Is there something on the exchange server that I could look for in the event log? Something is triggering this prompt for authentication, but I don't know exactly that event would be recorded.

Comment

I resolved the problem.

The connection was being blocked by my firewall (MS TMG).

I had to create a new firewall rule and set
      -the authentication delegation to "no delegation, but clients may authenticate directly",
      -the paths to /ews/*, /oab/*, /autodiscovery/* and then
      -change the users from all authenticated users, to all users.

Publishing the rule ahead of all of the other exchange rules ensured it was processed first.

Bingo, no more prompts for credentials!

Comment

Thanks for posting the fix, did you find a KB article or anything?
        I'm interested just to make sure that is the correct (secure!) way of doing it.
        cheers
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Greetings.
          We use MS TGM only for external connections.
          Now I'm confused, because I have the same environment that you are mentioning it Exchange 2010 SP2 on 2008r2 server, clients with Outlook 2013, and they receive this pop up window for credentials...

Comment

Unfortunately, I didn't find an official KB for this, but these were my references for resolving the issue:

http://unified.swiatelski.com/2011/0...d-offline.html

http://exchangemaster.wordpress.com/...-tmg-listener/

this one goes into why it isn't a big deal...

http://www.shudnow.net/2009/08/05/pu...a-2006-part-2/

Comment

Beer isn't a security issue if you put one rule with (no delegation, but clients may authenticate directly) in TGM before all other rules. What's the point then of any other Exchange rules which comes after this 1st rule?

Comment

And I really don't see a connection between TMG and when a users is inside internal network (LAN), because we use TMG only for Outlook Anywhere and OWA. Our users still recieve pop-up credentials in outlook 2013 inside LAN.

Comment

we just started seeing this... we are fairly up to date on all updates, but on roll up 3.

Comment

Working...
                  X