No announcement yet.

Migration from 2003 to 2010

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from 2003 to 2010

I have the following Exchange 2003 setup:
    1 backend EXG 2003 server, about 300 mailboxes, installed on a 2 node MS clister running Windows 2003.
    2 frontend EXG 2003 servers, accessable via the internet to provide OWA and mobile device access. Both are set in a Windows Load Balancing and seen as one node.

I would like to move to EXG 2010 and need to know the following:

1. which server roles are required to replace the existing servers
    2. I also need to have DR based on a diffrenet site that is connected to the main one over WAN

Many thanks

Re: Migration from 2003 to 2010

There is nothing unusual in your requirements.
    To replace like with like, at a minimum you would need four servers - two mailbox and two hub/cas.
    The two mailbox servers would be in a DAG.
    While you could use WNLB it isn't recommended by the Exchange product team. For the number of users though, the solution I would be recommending two servers with all three roles, and then a hardware load balancer in front for client access.

If you want HA locally then that is all that you need. If you want off site HA instead then you could locate two of the servers off site. If you want both, then it would be either three or six servers, two/four locally and the other two remotely.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

many thanks for the reply. we wiolo look at the options we have and decide on the number of servers.

Another thing to ask: the EXG 2003 I have is on a 2 node MS cluster and both servers share an MSA2000 storage. With EXG 2010 + DAG where the 2 servers are on to seperate sites, I guess that local storage will be sufficient. Am I wrong?

No, you are right -- a DAG will work the same way with local or SAN storage -- each member has a copy of the data
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **