every maibox need a license??

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• every maibox need a license??

Hi All

Hi All

Couldnt find the licensing section & licensing is so confusing.

I just need to know if we upgrade our exchange server 2003 to exchange server 2010 will we need a CAL for every user that has a mail box.

I presume we need to buy a complete set of new cals fot the exchange 2010. but really does every person with an internal email address need a license?

Google search results yileds so many different opinions

Thanks for reading

Re: every maibox need a license??

The only official answer to a licensing question is direct from Microsoft (and even then, three people will give you four different answers ) Get it in writing!

Also use the licensing information in the EMC to tell you what you probably need.

I always work on the assumption that each user connecting to a mailbox needs a license, so if one user has several mailboxes, only one license is needed (and equally a mailbox e.g. info@ with several users connecting to it will be OK under their "personal" mailbox licenses).

In general, if you make efforts to comply (remember licensing is on an "honour" system with no checking in Exchange) and ask MS for help, they will do their best to help you. If MS come to you saying "you have a problem", you are deep in it!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Just to add to this, you will also need to decide what features of Exchange you require, which will determine the version of Office you purchase to obtain the relevant Exchange CALs.

Many Thanks