Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual IP of Hub&Cas server is not accessible by other Subnets

Hi,

I have two Hub&Cas servers with exch 2010 on Windows 2008 R2, the virtual IP which is assigned for load balancing is accessible only from the same subnet but not from other subnets. How to solve this issue?

Many thanks in adv

Re: Virtual IP of Hub&Cas server is not accessible by other Subnets

Almost certainly Routing issue, not Exchange. Make sure your routers connecting the subnets have static routes to the subnet with Exchange.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply; Routing is not the issue, because the IP address of the physical adapters are accessible the issue is only with the virtual IP,

My scenario is

Server HC01:
      IP: 192.168.1.1
      SM: 255.255.255.0
      GW: 192.168.1.254
      Virtual IP: 192.168.1.3

Server HC02:
      IP: 192.168.1.2
      SM: 255.255.255.0
      GW: 192.168.1.254
      Virtual IP: 192.168.1.3

Users Subnet:
      172.16.0.0/16

Users subnet can access the physical IP's of both the HC(Hub&Cas)servers; only the virtual IP is not accessible(192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2 are accesible from 172.16.0.0/16; only 192.168.1.3 is not accessible). I doubt that as the virtual IP doesn't has the NLB gateway option it is the cause.

Comment

So the VIP IP is what your CAS array name points to? I have had this issue before after setting up a CAS/HT server in accordance with Best Practices, so using 1 NIC per server for public and another for private (WNLB). I didn't configure a Gateway for NLB NIC.

In the end, I ran the below and it then resolved the issue of other subnets routing through the VIP.

May not be applicable to you but my resolve was setting IP forwarding on the NLB interface, which is required as no Gateway is configured.

On each CAS server, the following was run;

Netsh interface ipv4 set int "NLB NIC NAME" forwarding=enabled
        Last edited by Virtual; 11th October 2012, 09:09.

Comment

I have done the same, but still the virtual IP is not accessible from the other subnets.

Comment

Have you verified your NIC binding order? Can you confirm how it is configured. If it is only the VIP you can't route through on the subnet but can others, I suspect is related to the config for WNLB in some shape or form, so worth double checking how it has been setup. So you do have 2 NICs per CAS server?

Comment

Issue resolved, it was Windows NLB issue. It was in multicast mode.

Comment

Working...
              X