Spam filtering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam filtering

Can someone direct me to a good online tutorial about how to control spam filtering with Exchange 2010?

Specifically, up until a few months ago, our Exchange server was doing just fine with its spam filtering. But recently (I suspect some updates doing this), we're getting ALOT of "false positives". By that I mean that messages are being redirected to the Spam folder that shouldn't be.

--> this includes messages that are 100% internal to the exchange server (ie. an email from 1 internal user to another internal user).

What's even weirder is that if I move a message from my Junk folder to my normal Inbox (Outlook 2010), it almost immediately gets moved back to the Junk folder.

Re: Spam filtering

How are you moving the emails from junk to inbox? Are you selecting not junk, or just drag and dropping? If the latter, then the heuristic detection system hasn't been changed and it'll still flag those emails.

Personally I'd look at a Barracuda spam appliance.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
      How are you moving the emails from junk to inbox? Are you selecting not junk, or just drag and dropping? If the latter, then the heuristic detection system hasn't been changed and it'll still flag those emails.
      I don't think you understood my question.

---> WHERE are those heuristics set and/or configured?

I couldn't find ANYTHING in the EMC that had to do with spam filtering, the heuristics, threshholds, etc.

Personally I'd look at a Barracuda spam appliance.
      Again - this has nothing to do with my question. I want to know where this is configured in Exchange. I'm not going to go buy another product.

Comment

Does this help?
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...x#EMCProcedure
        If you would like to research it more then look for.
        Spam confidence level (SCL)
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

One thing is becoming obvious - everything that talks about spam filtering in Exchange talks about using an Edge Transport server.

I have a single Exchange server. It does not have the Edge Transport role.

Yet email still seems like it is getting filtered....

Comment

Do you have anything like in the attached picture?
            I had to do the below commands to get it to show on my server.

Run the Install-AntispamAgents.ps1 script

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb201691.aspx
            Attached Files
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

To confirm what UK_Network said -- spam filtering can be installed on the Hub Transport role by running the script he mentions -- it does not come out of the box.

IMHO though, you will be better subscribing to a spam filtering service such as MessageLabs.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                Do you have anything like in the attached picture?
                I had to do the below commands to get it to show on my server.

Run the Install-AntispamAgents.ps1 script

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb201691.aspx

Nope - that tab is not listed.

Just to be clear - I am NOT looking to add spam filtering to my Exchange server. My problem is that there is spam filtering already going on, and it is generating false positives. I am trying to figure out what is doing it (and how to configure it).

Comment

Working...
                X