Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove 1 of 3 exchange 2010 servers

Hi,

We originally had one exchange server with all roles installed.

Then we bought 2 new servers and isntalled exchange 2010 in a DAG and migrated all mailboxes to it. These new servers have all 3 roles as well.

DAG: exch01 - mail.company.com
    DAG: exch02 - mx.company.com
    Original standalone exch - mx2.company.com

The reverse DNS lookup also points to mx2.company.com

Since we have migrated all mailboxes from original (mx2) exchange to the 2 newer ones (DAG), how do i uninstall exchange off of the original server?

What do i have to worry about? What steps i need to take?

thank you in advance.

Re: How to remove 1 of 3 exchange 2010 servers

Hiya,

This is not a complete list but for starters:

1. can you please confirm if you have replicated your Public Folder DB to another server?
    2. You also need to worry about mail routing (inbound/outbound)?
    3. OAB generation server?

Please confirm above and then we can discuss few other bits.

Regards
    Technical Director
    www.tecguruz.com
    Ex-Microsoft (Exchange Client & Server Infrastructure Team), MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS & ITIL Foundation certified

Comment

Thank you for your response.

The OAB server is set to the original exchage server (the one which i want to get rid of). It is set as True for Default OAB. Mechanism is web-Based.

Also, there are no public folders that i see.

How do i check mail routing to confirm?

thank you

Comment

OAB generation to another server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb125184.aspx

Move Public Folder Content from One Public Folder Database to Another Public Folder Database:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb331970.aspx

Mail Flow:

Check SMTP Connector to make sure the old server is not in the SOURCE server, it should only be the new servers. Also make the Transport service on OLD server manual/stopped and then test email flow (inbound/outbound).

Please let me know if you have any doubts regarding the above. I would recommend NOT to remove the old server until we are sure that all services are being handled by the NEW servers. Keeping the server in the network will not hurt you in anyway. Once we are sure then we can completely decommission it.

Regards
        Technical Director
        www.tecguruz.com
        Ex-Microsoft (Exchange Client & Server Infrastructure Team), MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS & ITIL Foundation certified

Comment

Quickly: If i move the Offline address book right now, will it effect anything? I am a bit nervous..?

Also, when i check the send connectors, i see 3 seperate send connectors. One listed for each exchange server. When i check their sourse servers, i see the same server listed:

exch01 send connector - listed as "internet Send connector exch01". FQDN listed as mail.company.com, sourse server - exch01.

exch02 send connector - listed as ""internet Send connector exch02". FQDN listed as mx.company.com, sourse server - exch02.

exch03 send connector - listed as ""internet Send connector exch03". FQDN listed as mx2.company.com, sourse server - exch03.

thanks

Comment

OAB move should not create any issues. I think I need to understand few more things before you make any change:

1. Please confirm if you are using Public SSL certificate and if yes then what type of cert (Single/SAN etc)?
            2. Why do you have 3 SMTP connectors, any particular reason?

Regards
            Technical Director
            www.tecguruz.com

Comment

A consultant was brought in to setup our exchange 2010. I'm not sure why he setup 3 SMTP connectors. Maybe becausae originally our standalone exchange 2010 already had smtp connectors and he was nervous like me to remove it?

Also, original exch server is using a public ssl single cert which is set to expire next year while the 2 newer DAG servers are using a single ssl cert different from the original server. i have attached few screen shots for better understanding.

thank you for your help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Firstly you dont need 3 SMTP connectors to send emails out unless we are trying to route emails using different ISP (lets say you have multiple ISPs) and you want make sure that if one ISP goes down then the connector can be utilized. Many other scenarios where Multiple smtp connectors can be used.

Now as far as certificate is concerned, for the 3rd DAG server, it doesn't look right. It looks like it was imported/enabled while there was no internet connectivity on the server hence you see the error mentioned.

Again, in this situation I would prefer to have a look at the server (remotely) as it would be pretty difficult communicate this way and give you solution. No intentions to charge for the time i will spent on this, I can give you pointers once i have seen the setup so that even you can carry on. Please let me know your thoughts, if you wish to continue troubleshooting via this forum then also I am fine with it.

This took me 10 mins to sort:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...992#post262992

Regards
                Technical Director
                www.tecguruz.com

Comment

Thank you. Yes that would be great if you can quickly take a look at it.

Can you PM me your personal contact info: phone, email so that we can discuss this further.

Comment

Working...
                  X