Exchange mail going out as wrong IP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange mail going out as wrong IP

2007 exchange sytem has been working without errors and now we are getting rejected mail because it is going out as the wrong IP. I need to know where to set the send connector to direct all outgoing mail to my ironport box. For some reason it is now being bypassed. Is the setting in the send connector ? I have been unable to locate it anywhere.

Re: Exchange mail going out as wrong IP

I would assume (not familiar with the ironport, but have used similar appliances) that it needs to be set as a smart host in Exchange, as you correctly say on the internet send connector.

http://www.arrowmail.co.uk/howto/smrthost.aspx has a step-by-step guide (specific to their service, but shows were the settings are), about half way down the page below the Exchange 2003 guide. In your case the smart host will be the (hostname or IP of) the ironport. I would expect it to be anonymous authentication, but as I said, not familiar with an ironport.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

i suspect cruachan's answer nailed it for you however

on the send-connector in Exchange, you need to put the internal IP address of the Ironport Server as the "smart host"
      that should then send all emails to this device, which should then be configured appropriately to route from there..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        i suspect cruachan's answer nailed it for you however

on the send-connector in Exchange, you need to put the internal IP address of the Ironport Server as the "smart host"
        that should then send all emails to this device, which should then be configured appropriately to route from there..
        I made the changes to the send queue and as advised the mail started working correctly again. I seem to have an intermittant problem withexternal mail flow. Mail can at times go out instantly, and then it can take 10 to 15 minutes. I test this by sending mail to a gmail, hotmail and yahoo account. Again at time instant at other time 10 to 15 minutes. Happens at ramdom time of the day.

Any ideas? I have watched the message queue's and found nothing delayed. Messages from the ironport seem instant.

Comment

so you're saying you send the email
          then in the queue, you see it go instantly
          but it might not be delivered for 10 to 15 minutes?

or am i misunderstanding, and sometmies you send the email, and it doesn't migrate through the queue for up to 15 minuet s?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I watch the queue and dont see anything. I have not seen any messages in the queue at any time. I did have one posion message but deleted it and have not noticed any other messages in any of the queue's. I am using the queue viewer in the EMC. Is there a better tool with constant information ? The issue seems to come and go.

Comment

Working...
            X