Reducing disk size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing disk size

Setup windows AD's win2k3 and win2k8, exchange on a win2k3 with exchange 2007, all ms updates and sps.

All is working fine on the network.

but on my exch server, how can I reduce the size of the first storage group?

I've already moved users inboxes to other storage groups and I even deleted old users (after I saved their inboxes).

but after a nightly backup job the first storage group size remains the same on the hdd.

HDD size is 278GB and first storage group is 209GB

Re: Reducing disk size

You will need to delete the database. Moving mailboxes marks space as free, but never releases it.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      You will need to delete the database. Moving mailboxes marks space as free, but never releases it.

what database?

I can't remove the first storage group since I have users inboxes in there.

if I remove lets say joe smith from 1st storage group to 2nd storage group which is located on it's own drive, shouldn't my first storage group drive reduce in size?

(moved like 50 users, from 1st to 2nd).

Comment

I think this might work:

Dismount the database then open a command prompt and enter:

ESEUTIL /D <database name>

Replace <database name> with name of the store to defrag.
        Re-mount database when done.

has anyone ever tried this?

Comment

That isn't risk free, and will require total downtime of the server.
          With Exchange 2007 it is completely unnecessary. Create a new database, move all the users to the new database, drop the original. Zero downtime, zero risk.

The Exchange database does not shrink on its own, all that happens is the space gets marked as white space for use by new content.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

IIRC Offline defrags run at about 1GB per hour so I hope you dont have anything planned for the next week or so!

Note I wasnt talking about removing the storage group, just the database in it once you have moved mailboxes to a different dB
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
              That isn't risk free, and will require total downtime of the server.
              With Exchange 2007 it is completely unnecessary. Create a new database, move all the users to the new database, drop the original. Zero downtime, zero risk.

The Exchange database does not shrink on its own, all that happens is the space gets marked as white space for use by new content.

Simon.

ok I'll give this a shot...thanks everyone for the feedback!!

Comment

Working...
              X