Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007/2010 (PLAN, Pre-Steps)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007/2010 (PLAN, Pre-Steps)

Dear Experts,
    Our senario is we have One domain controller Win 2000 SP4. Exchange 2003 is also running on it. This is the only exchange we have. Now we have plan to go for Exhange 2010 OR 2007. In this regard I need to kow from experts what steps are required.
    I have this plan in mind, but need advise if this is going to work:

- run adprep/domainprep adprep/forestprep on Win 2000 DC (on which exchange 2003 is also running) using 32bit DVD of Win 2008 R2 server after it is done and finished

- On a new server install Win 2008 R2 64 bit and raise domain functional level
    - make this new server a member of original domain, and then transfer all FSMO roles to it and make this new machine windows 2008 R2 primary DC

- Next on another server install Win 2008 R2 64 bit, and install exchange 2010 or 2007 on it, then go ahead with process of migration from exchange 2003 which is on Windows 2000 (original DC and now changed to secondary DC).

- After exchange part is done to new Win 2008 R2 server, demote the Win 2000 by running dcpromo

- So, in end there will two new servers One (Win 2008 R2 acting as DC), Second (Win 2008 R2 with exchange 2010 OR 2007 installed)

Please verify these steps will or not?

Thanks,

Re: Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007/2010 (PLAN, Pre-Steps)

Don't bother with Exchange 2007, go straight to 2010 (note you will need a 64-bit server - preferably 2008R2 - for it).

You will also need to meet the minimum domain requirements (IIRC 2003 Native FL) and DCs (again IIRC 2003 SP2) so the 2000 DC will need to be retired before you can install Exchange 2010

Re-order your steps in the light of the above and you should be OK
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Looks as if you need to split the upgrade into 2 phases.

AD upgrade
      Exchange upgrade

Ensure you backup sytem state on at least 2 DCs prior to the ADPREP.

Windows 2008 R2 is 64 bit only. You need to use ADPREP32, which is in the same place as ADPREP if the 2000 DC is 32 bit.
      ADPREP32 /Forestprep first and then ADPREP32 /Domainprep /gpprep. As you have a 2000 AD, you will need the extra /gpprep switch for the upgrade.

For Exchange 2010 (and I think 2007 as well) you will need to be on Windows 2003 funtional modes. However, to move to there, you would have to have demoted the 2000 DC. As Exchange is intalled on that DC, more than likely it is using itself for DC services. Therefore, when the 2000 DC is demoted, not only will you have down time for Exchange as it would need to be restarted, you need to ensure that it has picked up the new DC by ensuring Exhcange services have started and possibly looking at SPNs registered on the server. You may need to manually set the SPN to not look at itself but another DC.

Furthermore, you need to consider DNS migration, DHCP amendments for DNS server, static DNS entries and so on.

Prior to ADPREP, do a DCDIAG to verify AD health.

Prior to the AD upgrade, verify NTLM authentication level within Group Policy is set and consider other applications that use AD for NTLM authentication. By default, Windows 2008 R2 will be NTLM v2 only unless you set it otherwise.

Also, what mail clients do you use? That will determine whether you move to 2007 or 2010. However, when it comes to licensing, you will probably purchase Office to get the Exchange CALs, so possibly, you'll be looking to upgrade Office as well and you may as well then go with Exchange 2010 SP2.
      Last edited by Virtual; 27th June 2012, 09:38.

Comment

For Exchange 2010 (and I think 2007 as well) you will need to be on Windows 2003 funtional modes. However, to move to there, you would have to have demoted the 2000 DC. As Exchange is intalled on that DC, more than likely it is using itself for DC services. Therefore, when the 2000 DC is demoted, not only will you have down time for Exchange as it would need to be restarted, you need to ensure that it has picked up the new DC by ensuring Exhcange services have started and possibly looking at SPNs registered on the server. You may need to manually set the SPN to not look at itself but another DC.

So, by this you means it is possible to demote the Win 2000 DC while exchange 2003 still exists on it considering that downtime is acceptable as you mentioned that after demote it requires re start.
        So the steps will be:
        - Run Adprep32 /domainprep, adprep32/forestprep gpprep (once complete)
        - install win 2008 r2 on a fresh server, make it member for win 2000 the present DC, then transfer the FSMO roles to newly installed win 2008 and then demote win 2000 DC while exchange 2003 still exists on it
        - after demote complete, install win 2008 r2 on another new server specially for exchange 2007 OR 2010, make it member server of win 2008 R2 DC ( the new DC in place), install exchange and perform transition from Win 2000 server ( which was old DC) and have exchange installed

please correct steps if any thing is wrong, finally I appreciate your support.

Thanks,

Comment

I have a feeling this is turning into something you may want to consider a consultant for. I hadn't considered the implications of Exchange on a DC so maybe a "swing" migration is the way to go:

1) Install TEMPORARY Exchange 2003 box
          2) Move Exchange completely to it
          3) Remove Exchange on DC
          4) Add new DC (2008R2)
          5) Remove old DC & raise AD levels
          6) Install new Exchange 2010 server
          7) Move mailboxes / CAS / HT completely to it
          8 ) Decommission TEMP Exchange
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I concur with Ossian.

wajeeh_r, re-read my post with regards to switches to use and commands for the ADPREP.

Comment

Did you think that asking your question in a different place would get a different answer?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-7fb25ab25e31/

NOTHING is different to the answers I gave you on the Technet forum.

IT is not supported to DCPROMPO a server with Exchange installed, if you do then you are likely to break Exchange.
              The steps that I outlined in my replies on the Technet forum are the same.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
              X