No announcement yet.

2003 to 2010 Transition Questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 to 2010 Transition Questions

Over the next month or so, I'm going to gradually transition from my 2003 environment to 2010. I feel pretty comfortable with this upgrade, but there are a few loose ends that I need clarification on. Here are that the two servers will look like when they are deployed

Exch2003: (internal dns) (external dns)
    Exch2010: (internal and external dns) is going to me my legacy name. A f ew questions.

1) As a step one, if I simply bring the 2010 server into the environment, but not change the mail routing, I assume that all my owa, pop, and mail delivery will still go through 2003 and be pushed over to 2010 if the mailbox in question is on 2010. All will continue to work just as it had been.

2) Once I have the SAN certificate installed, I'll change the MX record and have mail delivered to the 2010 machine. As far as the SAN certificate getting installed on the old 2003 server, am I just importing the certificate and just attaching it to the default web site in IIS just like the one I have now?

SAN certificate should include postoffice, autodiscover, and mail right?

3) After adding the send/receive connector to 2010, documentation recommends removing the SMTP connector from the old server so all mail will go through 2010. I don't have a connector on my 2003 server, so I'm not clear on how mail is going to flow.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by jschweg; 9th June 2012, 13:21. Reason: Fix domain names

Re: 2003 to 2010 Transition Questions

If you don't have an SMTP Connector in Exchange 2003, then as soon as you install Exchange 2010, email will start going through that server.

You need to create an SMTP Connector in Exchange 2003 first, and check that no smart host is set on the Exchange 2003 Server SMTP virtual server.

Exchange 2010 doesn't proxy OWA, it only redirects. Exchange cannot go up a version, only back.
    Therefore once you have Exchange 2010 and the SSL certificate in place, then all traffic should go to Exchange 2010 first, with the legacy host name used for the redirect.

POP will proxy, so as soon as you have Exchange 2010 in place, then POP can be directed to that version. Although I would use this as a good time to dump POP, as it has no place in a corporate email environment and switch to Outlook Anywhere.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.