Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange Server mailbox migration to new Mailbox DB to shrink the whitespace on CCR ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server mailbox migration to new Mailbox DB to shrink the whitespace on CCR ?

Hi Everyone,

In the event of shrinking down the WhiteSpace in one of my mailbox Database, I'm using Exchange Server 2007 CCR and in one storage Group can only contains only one mailbox DB.

Should I create new Storage Group and New Database as follows:

1. Create new Storage Group in the new drives added into the new drives (same drive as the unused RSG but of course different folders for DB and logs).
    2. Create the same Storage Group in the Recovery DR node
    3. Enable the circular logging
    4. Perform the mailbox migration into the new Database created in the new storage group
    5. Delete the old Database in the Active Production Node followed by the Recovery DR node
    6. Delete the old Storage Group in the Active Production Node followed Recovery DR node
    7. make sure the drive is empty by quick formatting it.

and now the reverse process:

8. Recreate the new Storage Group based on the old name in the Active Node followed by the Recovery DR node.
    9. Recreate the new Mailbox Database based on the old name in the Active Node followed by the Recovery DR node.
    10. Enable the circular logging
    11. Perform the migration back from the temporary SG created in the steps 1 and 2
    12. Once completed, disable the circular logging (to allow full recovery in case disaster strikes)
    13. Delete the temporary Database in the Active Production Node followed by the Recovery DR node
    14. Delete the temporary Storage Group in the Active Production Node followed Recovery DR node
    15. make sure the drive is empty by quick formatting it.

if I missed anything or if there is any better way of clearing up the white space on the disk, please let me know.

Thanks.

Re: Exchange Server mailbox migration to new Mailbox DB to shrink the whitespace on C

.. why do you need to clear up the space on the disk???
    If there's whitespace, exchange will use that first, so your store won't grow..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Exchange Server mailbox migration to new Mailbox DB to shrink the whitespace on C

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      .. why do you need to clear up the space on the disk???
      If there's whitespace, exchange will use that first, so your store won't grow..
      yes because the existing drive is about to become full with less than 1 GB free, so I need to do something before it hits the 0 bytes free.

Comment

I think you have it right:
        Create empty database
        Set up replication
        *GET USERS TO CLEAN UP MAILBOXES AND EMPTY DELETED ITEMS ETC*
        Move mailboxes
        Delete old database
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          I think you have it right:
          Create empty database
          Set up replication
          *GET USERS TO CLEAN UP MAILBOXES AND EMPTY DELETED ITEMS ETC*
          Move mailboxes
          Delete old database
          Yes that is what I was thinking should I create new storage group as above or just create new mailbox database within the existing storage group ? So in total there are two mailbox DB in this storage group but the additional mailbox DB is on another drive location.

Would that be easier or I have to go long way using the steps that I described above?

Comment

Working...
          X