No announcement yet.

Exchange 2010 CALs

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2010 CALs

I am about to purchase 2008 server and Exchange 2010 and I have some questions regarding CALs.

Currently have 2003 Exchange with 50 mailboxes and around 30 users.

I did not setup the existing 2003 server with exchange but when I try to lookup how many CALs are installed i get error message stating that License Logging Service is not running.

I assume that we only have the 5 CALs out of the box BUT everything is working great..users can access shared drives and all 50 mailboxes work.

Now I understand that I "need" to purchase 35 2008 Server CALs and 50 Exchange 2010 CALs but do I "really" need to?

Lets set aside a MS audit and just answer will the 08 server with Exchange 2010 function without additional CALs?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Exchange 2010 CALs

The short answer is, yes, you need to.

This is because it's a legal requirement. Without the CALs, you are running unlicensed and subject to potentially huge fines.

That said, it is based on a trust scenario. You don't need to enter CALs any more
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: Exchange 2010 CALs

Also please note you need the correct CALs depending on what you are using
      Standard CALs give basic mailbox features
      Enterprise CALs are used to "top up" standard CALs (you need Standard + Enterprise) with additional features such as archive mailboxes and premium journalling.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **