Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V

Hi,
    I need to run a exchange solution using hyper-v.

Have following;
    1. Two physical server and one shared SAS based shared storage.
    2. Two enterprise license of Microsoft and 4 license of exchange standard 2010.

I consider following to happen;
    1. Create a DC and ADC.Do you recommend to have it on virtual machine or have a physical for one of them.
    2. As will run hyper-v cluster will I be able to have DAG for MBX server?Can DAG is supported on hyper-v cluster?
    3. Should I run NLB for Hub/CAS or is it possible in hyper-v?

If not what should my design should look like.
    I want fully redundant solution with minimum down time?

Regards,
    Sushil
    Last edited by Sembee; 31st March 2012, 14:05.

Re: Exchange 2010 on Hyper-V

I would defnitely recommend having at least one physical AD server.
    Obviously, you could run HyperV on that as well, but would open up security concerns.

that then gives you one server to run hyperV and shared storage on.

I would consider buying a 3rd, small server to run as the domain controller.

that way you've got your two HyperV Headers, the shared storage back end.

With Enterprise, you get 4 Guest licenses, for each physical host license, BUT you must use the host only for managing the guest. So that means you couldn't install AD, AND HyperV, and get the 4 guests.
    (http://blogs.technet.com/b/mattmcspi...vironment.aspx)

i'm not going to go into the indepth design for you at this point, nlb/dag/etc..

from a licencing point of view, and hardware point of view, you're, mostly, ok.

i suspect that, yes, you could run an exchange server on each hyperV node, and use the shared back end... but not sure exactly how it would work.

I suspect others will come along with specific advice soon.... if i remember correctly, dnleong's company had a similar sort of setup, but don't know if they ever clustered exchange...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

A physical DC is pretty much an absolute requirement, unless your hyper-v hosts will not be on the domain (in which case managing them becomes very awkward).

Remember clustering hosts will require a SAN of some sort, so if you do not want to do that, you will get almost as good availability by having 2 hyper-v hosts with 2 exchange virtual machines each:
      1 x Mailbox (in DAG with Mailbox on other host so will require Windows Server 2008 Enterprise)
      1 x CAS/HT (in NLB CAS array with same on other host)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for quick Reply.I would consider to have a Physical DC on a 3rd Hardware.

I was going thorugh some old posts and found that microsoft doesn't support DAG on Hyper-v.
        Here is the url for this.
        Is it true still?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-e3fa625d6eb2/

Ossain-It is agianst what you said about running DAG and CAS on hyper-v.

Regards,
        Sushil

Comment

Not AFAIK. All the training courses say every role can be virtualised although UM is better physically. Note your link refers to a DAG on a cluster-- I am suggesting clustering is not required

I have set up several DAGs on HV without issues
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That means,I should not create a hyper-V cluster?Hope I understood it correctly what you saying.

Is it possible if I create a hyper-v cluster?
            I am interested creating hyper-v cluster in order to have HA at physical host level too.

Regards,
            Sushil

Comment

I beleive it's ok to have the physical host in a cluster, as that's separate to a cluster of Exchange servers then using DAG.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Not clear why you would want a cluster rather than a DAG
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Have deployed Exchange 2010 SP1, which then had SP2 applied when it came available on a Hyper-V R2 Failover cluster and VMware HA environment.

For the redundancy of Exchange 2010, did the following;

2 x CAS/HT Servers - wNLB used and CAS array configured (you need to research this, as wNLB requires specific configuration when you use this on Exchange servers that are hosted on a Virtual Environment)
                  2 x MB Servers in DAG

If you co-host all roles on two servers, due to the number of users you have potentially allowing that co-hosting, you would then need to use a hardware NLB as wNLB would be incompatible with DAG.

As already recommended, two DCs. Are you creating a resource AD Forest for Exchange and using linked mailboxes, so users connecting from another AD environment?

Of course, depending on the number of users, you may need to consider using SCVMM and SCOM as well.

Licensing wise, you of course will need your server CALs. These days, you'd tend to get a Datacenter license and use that for the Windows Server CALs, so a Datacenter license for each Host.

Exchange CAS/HT would need to be Windows 2008 R2 Standard. Mailbox servers as Enterprise as creating the DAG uses some of the Failover Cluster feature of Windows.

If you only have up to 5 mailbox stores, which I tend to find is the case, Exchange Server Standard license is enough. If you then have, for example, two Mailbox servers in a DAG, you don't have the potential of 10 database stores (5 on each server) should they be made part of the DAG. Each active copy of the database will have a passive copy of the database on the other DAG member(s) and counts towards the 5. Also, if you are still using Public folders, it also counts towards that count.

Exchange 2010 CAL licensing tends to be based on the Outlook 2010 Office version purchased. It is a case of finding out what Exchange 2010 features you need as the client CAL licenses determines the features you will have.
                  Last edited by Virtual; 3rd April 2012, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    I suspect others will come along with specific advice soon.... if i remember correctly, dnleong's company had a similar sort of setup, but don't know if they ever clustered exchange...
                    yes, is similiar setup but not clustered exchange. we have 2 hyper-v server in HA mode and a shared storage. we have DC as VM guest and a physical DC. this is because when you startup clustered Hyper-V, you need a domain controller for authentication before you can bring up all the VM resources. For example,, if there is only 1 Virtual DC and in the event of power outage. Hyper V will not start because 2 Hyper-V servers cannot authenticate to each other.

We installed Exchange 2010 as VM guest, no clustered because HA mode of Hyper-V. if 1 physical host failed, exchange will live migrate/migrate to another server.

Comment

It is slightly getting confused for me.Let me summerize this way.
                      We can use DAG and NLB with exchange 2010 sp1/sp2 on both hyper-v and vmware HA?I am sure we refering failover cluster as HA.

I would also be running a file server on each host in hyper-v node.Let me know how to achieve the redundancy in case of one physical host goes down without having Hyper-v HA cluster?This is the reason we are planning to have a hyper-v HA cluster.

Going to use a physical DC and planning to have one virtual ADC on hyper-v.Is that sounds good?

Regards,
                      Sushil
                      Last edited by sushil; 4th April 2012, 08:49.

Comment

Originally posted by sushil View Post
                        It is slightly getting confused for me.Let me summerize this way.
                        We can use DAG and NLB with exchange 2010 sp1/sp2 on both hyper-v and vmware HA?I am sure we refering failover cluster as HA.

I would also be running a file server on each host in hyper-v node.Let me know how to achieve the redundancy in case of one physical host goes down without having Hyper-v HA cluster?This is the reason we are planning to have a hyper-v HA cluster.

Going to use a physical DC and planning to have one virtual ADC on hyper-v.Is that sounds good?

Regards,
                        Sushil
                        Yes, you can put Exchange 2010 DAG and NLB on Hyper-V and VMware with HA. However, Microsoft may not officially support it but personally, I have had no issues. You could place the VMs on there and don't make the VMs highly available and let the NLB and DAG take care of that.

Be careful with mentioning other technology as you are in the Exchange forum and if you have specific HYper-V questions or others, if you can create another thread in the relevant Forum.

If you are going to have a file server on each Hyper-V Host and won't have high availability at the Host and VM level, you can use Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise OS for the file servers and use Failover Clustering and consider DFS as well.

Having one physical DC and one virtual sounds a good option to me. You of course would make the Physical DC the Primary DNS and perhaps can have all of the FSMO roles.

Comment

Working...
                        X