X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange2010 Certificate Query

Hi Everyone,

Can someone advise on the following......... SELF SIGNED CERTIFICATES

For the purpose of testing Exchange2010 with Outlook Anywhere clients(external), is it ok to use a SELF SIGNED CERTIFICATE. I ask this because I've had major headache with the OAB not downloading for Outlook 2007 clients.

I understand a Self Cert is not a long term solution, I have in previous tests using Exchange2003 used a self signed Certificate without any problems.

The Self Cert I created is configured for *.mydomain.co.uk.

King Regards
    Mark Jones

Re: Exchange2010 Certificate Query

Theoretically it should work. However, have you considered having your own Internal CA and using a certificate from there for testing?

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the relpy, an Internal CA is what I have setup, I asked this question as I've had problem getting the OAB download working and wasn't sure where my problem was, wheather the problem was an Exchange config error or that my self certificate was causing the problem.

After seraching the problem onthe internet, there are lots of conflicting sites regarding this issue.

Thanks again

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJones View Post
        Hi

Thanks for the relpy, an Internal CA is what I have setup, I asked this question as I've had problem getting the OAB download working and wasn't sure where my problem was, wheather the problem was an Exchange config error or that my self certificate was causing the problem.

After seraching the problem onthe internet, there are lots of conflicting sites regarding this issue.

Thanks again

Mark
        You're problem is more than likely related to autodiscover. Exchange OA will work with a self signed cert. Just ensure the cert is installed on ALL devices communicating with Exchange as the cert will not be trusted. Plus the Outlook UI isnt intuitive enough if there are any cert related errors. Outlook 2010 though does differ slightly from 2007 though in regards to that behaviour - assuming the cert is your problem.
        The easiest way to test this is to browse to the OWA URL in your browser and see if you get any prompts regarding the cert. If you don't then the cert is installed correctly. Additionally if you check the cert from the browser you will see if there are any cert related issues as this will be displayed in the browser.
        Ensure your OAB virtual directory(s) are configured correctly from the shell. In addition make sure public folder distribution is working correctly either via EWS or directly from the Public folder.
        Start by testing your outlook configuration. Right click the Outlook icon in the task bar whilst holding down ctrl and select "Test Email Configuration". Test autodiscover and see what the OAB is set to. It will either be public folders or EWS.
        Then dip into the shell and use the Test-OutlookWebServices cmdlet to see where the error lays in your virtual directory configuration.
        Last edited by scurlaruntings; 18th March 2012, 20:29.

Comment

We use self signet certs in production...
          My users get my CA imported on all their devices so it won`t get cert errors...
          Just like godaddy

Comment

Working...
          X