Cannot Uninstall Last Exchange 2010 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Uninstall Last Exchange 2010 Server

When trying to uninstall the last Exchange 2010 server in our domain, exmbox-02.prod.x.tld , I get an error message saying that uninstall cannot continue because a mailbox still exists.

When I try to uninstall the last mailbox database from the Exchange Management Console, I get the following error message:

--------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Error
    The mailbox database 'Mailbox Database 0384348656' cannot be deleted.

Mailbox Database 0384348656
    Failed
    Error:
    This mailbox database contains one or more mailboxes, mailbox plans, archive mailboxes, or arbitration mailboxes.

To get a list of all mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID>.

To get a list of all mailbox plans in this database, run the command Get-MailboxPlan.

To get a list of archive mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Archive.

To get a list of all arbitration mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Arbitration.

To disable a non-arbitration mailbox so that you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID>.

To disable an archive mailbox so you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Archive.

Arbitration mailboxes should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command New-MoveRequest <parameters>.
    If this is the last server in the organization, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Arbitration -DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed to disable the arbitration mailbox.

Mailbox plans should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command Set-MailboxPlan <MailboxPlan ID> -Database <Database ID>.

OK
    But when I open up the shell and run the Get-Mailbox commands, no mailboxes are listed

VERBOSE: Connecting to exmbox-02.prod.x.tld
    VERBOSE: Connected to exmbox-02.prod.x.tld

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database 0384348656"

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxPlan

The term 'Get-MailboxPlan' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
    the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:16
    + Get-MailboxPlan <<<<
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-MailboxPlan:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database 0384348656" -Archive

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database 0384348656" -Arbitration

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>
    This is the last Exchange 2010 server in our domain, so I don't care about the server or any information on it. We have decided to set up our Exchange 2010 server in another domain instead. I just wanted to do a clean uninstall, but at this point I'm tempted to just remove the server and delete the computer account from Active Directory.

I was able to do a clean un-install of every other Exchange 2010 server in the domain.

My only concern is, if management changes there minds in a few years and wants to set up Exchange 2010 (or later) back in the prod.x.tld domain, should I be concerned? What "cruft" is left behind?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I should add that this is not just the last Exchange server in the domain, but the entire forest. Our new Exchange 2010 server is being set up in a legacy Active Directory forest (one that I thought was going to go away, but didn't).
    Last edited by Robert R.; 7th March 2012, 17:40.
Working...
X