Another weirdness Outlook2007/Exchange2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another weirdness Outlook2007/Exchange2007

My wife has Outlook 2007 set up in her office connecting her via RPC over HTTP to their Exchange server sitting somewhere in the HQ. It works. Now the weird bit. From home on a desktop PC IE8 won't even go to what she's got set up in her office Outlook as HTTP proxy. It gives DNS error. Wireshark shows me that the remote.blablabla was found and it's IP is this and that and then when handshaking the remote server sends [RES, ACK]. The previous packet queries my public DNS for the name of remoteServerLocalName.localdomain.local.lan for some reason probably getting it from the certificate I would guess. However, on the same computer Firefox connects to OWA giving the cut off version of it which is no good. Setting up Outlook doesn't work saying it cannot connect to the Exchange server. Now, when I do the same on a Windows7 laptop IE9 connects to OWA although not every time. When I set up Outlook on that computer it tells me "there was a problem with proxy server security certificate" and closes. How on earth does it work at her office?

Re: Another weirdness Outlook2007/Exchange2007

Assuming that her office PC connects to the internal LAN/WAN of the Exchange server it should work without any major problems.

Now to your tries to connect: From the results it sounds like you are outside of the Exchange LAN/WAN, so your results depends on the methods how Exchange is published and your connection methods.

But what is your current issue anyway? If you want to connect to her mailbox on a Exchange server ask their administrators which methods are supported instead of "try and error".

Comment

Her brunch office is outside of the internal company's LAN. It's actually in a different country and there is no LAN-to-LAN VPN. Outlook over HTTP is supported as it works at her Office for god knows what reason. I suggested her to contact the administrator and ask for help. He kindly sent her back a nice certificate package with an installer and all the bells and whistles. The thing is this is exactly the same certificate I got from their OWA website I tried using before where the cert issuer URI is http://localservername.domain.local and the issuer CN is localservernameCA (SBS2008...) which I'm guessing causes all the problems. The admin is one of those with 50 years of field experience or experience from 50 years ago and just won't accept that they need a proper 3rd party certificate because it works in the branch office just fine and it always worked this way. I think I'll just let him play with this till he runs out of coffee and then accepts that they need to dig out 50 bucks and just get on with it.

Comment

Yeah sounds like the installation would run smoother using a official 3rd party certificate.

But if the certificate package includes the certificate of the issuing CA assuming that SBS runs one it should work if you include that certifiacte into theTrusted Root Certification Authority store on the local pcs.

Comment

It is in trusted. I think it all goes back to their Exchange server sending [RST,ACK] which I cannot quite understand because when I go to their OWA on my office PC it doesn't do that. Maybe it's my home router doing something funny but this is beyond my knowledge. I'll see whet their IT says and post back here as this is quite a strange issue so may help someone in similar situation.

Comment

Now this is a good one. The IT people decided it cannot be done because you can only have one Exchange account in Outlook pre-2010 so basically this cannot be done and this is why it doesn't work. Excuse me?...

Comment

Working...
            X