Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Setup New Exchange 2010: Could not found AD

Hello friends,
    I'm new to Exhcange 2010. I'm running my first setup of Exchange 2010 in my domain. I'm using Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2. My Forest and Domain functional level is Windows 2008. I've run the prerequisite process, that is setup.exe with the /PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions, /PrepareSchema, /PrepareAD, and /PrepareDomain. But when I run the GUI setup after that, I got error message like this:
    "Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: could not find Active Directory site to shich this server belongs."

These are what I've done:
    1. disjoin the server and then rejoin with domain.

2. verify that DC is healthy.

3. analyze DNS with dnslint command, then I got this mesg:
    C:\dnslint>dnslint /ad /s 172.30.1.9 /v
    DNSLint will attempt to verify the
    DNS entries used in AD replication
    Using 127.0.0.1 for LDAP
    Starting with 172.30.1.9 for DNS
    This process may take several minutes to complete...
    Finding the name of the root of the AD forest...not found
    LDAP query to speficied LDAP server on TCP port 389 failed
    Server Down
    LDAP query to speficied LDAP server on TCP port 389 failed
    LDAP server specified appears to be down
    Specify a different LDAP server and run the command again

4. Analyze port with portqry (in windows 2003), then I got this mesg:
    C:\WINDOWS>portqry -n contoso.com -e 389 -p udp
    Querying target system called:
    contoso.com
    Attempting to resolve name to IP address...
    Name resolved to 172.30.1.10
    UDP port 389 (unknown service): LISTENING or FILTERED
    Sending LDAP query to UDP port 389...
    LDAP query to port 389 failed
    Server did not respond to LDAP query

5. I check the Firewall configuration in DCs server and it allow connection from port 389 both TCP and UDP.

Is this an issue regarding DNS or something else..? Can somebody help me, please..?

Regards,
    HENDHY
    Last edited by hendhy84; 6th February 2012, 06:10.

Re: Error Setup New Exchange 2010: Could not found AD

At first I would look at where the error message points to. It states that it couln't find the site where the Exchange server belongs to.

So the question is have you configured your site topology appropriatly? Even if you have a small installation with one location you have to configure IP subnet(-s) and link them to the site(-s).

Comment

Do you just have one Domain? Have you doen a DCDIAG? Worth doing one. Also, if you have a single Domain, you can just let the setup disk do the ADPREP. Ensure the account you use to install Exchange is a member of schema admins and is an enterprise administrator.

Have you tried with another user account?

Comment

Hello FischFra..
        Hello Virtual...
        Sorry for the late reply...

I'm doing this with enterprise Administrator logon..
        Running DCDIAG seemed to be fine, except "failed test NCSecDesc" which can be ignored because I don't have RODC..

Hey, I found this in the event viewer:

Log Name: MSExchange Management
        Source: MSExchange CmdletLogs
        Date: 2/6/2012 9:55:47 AM
        Event ID: 6
        Task Category: (1)
        Level: Error
        Keywords: Classic
        User: N/A
        Computer: SERVER5.contoso.com
        Description:
        The description for Event ID 6 from source MSExchange CmdletLogs cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

test-SetupHealth
        {DomainController=, SetupRoles={Global}, ExchangeVersion=14.1.218.15, ADInitError=Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Could not find Active Directory site to which this server belongs., ScanType=PrecheckInstall, PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions=, Roles={Global}, PrepareSchema=True, DownloadConfigurationUpdates=True}
        contoso.com/Users/Administrator
        Exchange Management Console-Local
        00:00:17.7135336
        View Entire Forest: 'True',
        Microsoft.Exchange.Management.BestPracticesAnalyze r.BPAConfigurationErrorFoundException: This computer does not belong to a valid Active Directory site. Check the site and subnet definitions.

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

BTW, this is silly question, where should I run setup with /prepareschema, /preparead, and /preparedomain..? Is it in the server that holds FSMO roles, or in all Active Directory servers or all AD servers server including the member server that Exchange will be installed..? =)

Thank you so much...

Regards,
        HENDHY

Comment

As I wrote in my first response, make sure your AD site and IP subnet configuration is correctly made. The error message still points in that direction.

Regarding the AD prepartion for Exchange, it could be any W2k8 server that is in the site with the schema master.

Most administrators uses the server where Exchange 2010 will be installed later because it is prepared for this anyways.

Comment

(please see the attachment).. Is this something related with the Sites and Subnet in AD Site and Services..?? I haven't touch that..

Regards,
            HENDHY
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for reply FischFra..

The Site and Subnet is still unconfigured... Could you please give me a guideline..?

Regards,
              hendhy84
              Attached Files

Comment

That's right.. I've done all in the setup preparation in Windows 2k8 that holds Schema Master. The setup with /prepareschema and /preparead was successful, that's why I can see new OU in the root domain called "Microsoft Exchange Security Groups". But still the setup unsuccessful...

Comment

Assuming you have a rather small installation!

Open up AD Site and Services, you should ses a container called Subnets. Lets say you have a IP subnet 192.168.0.xxx, add this to the Subnets Container, might looks like 192.168.0.0/24.

Beside this you should see a site called Default-XXX something, add the subnet to this site and you are done.

If your physical structure is more complicated you might want to get a consultant to help you out.
                  Last edited by FischFra; 6th February 2012, 12:42.

Comment

Waaw...!! How can I thanks to you..?! By configuring subnet, it's working now.. I can finally install MS Exchange 2010.. Thanks a lot for your tips..

Regards,
                    hendhy84

Comment

Working...
                    X