Old Exchange Server MotherBoard Failed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Exchange Server MotherBoard Failed

Hi Guys,

I really needs some help ASAP.
    my old Exchange server 2003 machine has crushed, and now I cannot start the OS. Both HDD in raid are Ok.

Now most important is will I be able to Save and restore old emails.. existing DB?
    my old system was Server 2003 SBS SP1 with Exchange 2003.
    If i am installing a new Server I would rather install a New 2008 Server with Exchange 2010. Can I do that?
    Will I be able to restore my old exchange 2003 DB onto the new exchange 2010?
    That is my most important question, if not do i need to install the same old OS and exchange Server 2003?

I am ready to start installing the 2008 Server if i can restore the old 2003 DB, should i do so?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Old Exchange Server MotherBoard Failed

You cannot restore directly from 2003 to 2010 -- there are 3rd party tools such as Ontrack PowerControls (not cheap)

Your best bet would be to do a DR in your current environment, export mailboxes to PST and bring those into the new environment

Before you dive in to anything, do some research on Exchange 2003 disaster recovery and (IIRC) make sure you do not do anything to the computer account for the failed server in AD
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Old Exchange Server MotherBoard Failed

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I will try to do so.
      I have started one of the HDD on another machine and it seems "fine".
      I will keep this machine up while i install a new one.

it seems that i will manually recreate most of the configurations.

Thanks again!