No announcement yet.

Exchange 2007 Activesync Cert Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 Activesync Cert Issue

Currently got a bit of a brain itch, I have a Server 2008 running Exchange 2007 and IIS 7.

I have owa with an external domain name of and a self-signed certificate.

The certificate's common name is I'm guessing for auto discover as I never set this Server up myself.

This is causing ActiveSync to fail as the common name and domain name do not match:

Validating the certificate name.
    Certificate name validation failed.
    Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it
    Additional Details
    Host name doesn't match any name found on the server certificate

Now I'm guessing I can recreate the cert request something like:

New-ExchangeCertificate -generaterequest -subjectname "C=NL,DC=Organisationname,O=Org description," -domainname,, exch.domain.local, exch -path c:\certrequest_exch.txt

Then import this cert my only concern is that this is a working environment and I'm really worried about breaking auto discovery.

Could anyone let me know if they think I'm going down the correct path and if there is any nasty’s I should be watching out for?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Exchange 2007 Activesync Cert Issue

The self signed certificates issued by Exchange are not supported for use with ActiveSync. Spend the $60 and do it properly. You will not have to support certificate prompts or anything like that, and life will be a lot easier.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Exchange 2007 Activesync Cert Issue

Thanks Sembee,

Yeah your right I should just get it done correctly to be honest, good shout.

I'll quote one up for my client, cheers.