Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managed folder policy not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Managed folder policy not working

    I have a server running Exchange 2007 SP3.

    The database size seems large so I ran this to check for deleted items:
    Get-MailboxStatistics -server myserver | Sort-Object totalDeletedItemSize –Descending | ft displayName,deletedItemCount,@{l="TotalDeletedItem Size";e={$_.totalDeletedItemSize.value.toMB()}}

    I could see 2 users had 10 Gb and 4 users had 6 Gb of deleted items. Others have less some have 0.

    I set a policy per this:

    http://www.exchange-genie.com/2007/1...lder-policies/

    With the exception I chose permanently delete. I also applied it to all mailboxes.

    The policy has been running for three days. I can see in the application log that it reports "managed folder mailbox assistant ran successfully on 55/55 mailboxes with errors on 0"

    I just checked deleted items and saw that the item count and size only went up some.

    I forced it to run and the event log had a similar entry with no errors.

    Any thoughts on why the policy isn't working are appreciated.

  • #2
    Re: Managed folder policy not working

    I think your Get-MailboxStatistics command gives you the numbers not for the Outlook folder "Deleted Items" but for the server folder.

    So your Managed Folder Policy will not help in your problem.

    Try modifying the settings for "Deletion settings" at the database(-s).

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Managed folder policy not working

      Originally posted by FischFra View Post
      I think your Get-MailboxStatistics command gives you the numbers not for the Outlook folder "Deleted Items" but for the server folder.

      So your Managed Folder Policy will not help in your problem.

      Try modifying the settings for "Deletion settings" at the database(-s).
      Thanks for the reply. I don't understand your idea about the Outlook folder vs the server folder. I thought Outlook connected to Exchange displayed what was in that users folders in their mailbox on the server?

      I have used the same cmdlet and same policy on another server (also 2007). I ran the cmdlet to get a list then set a policy to purge deleted items over 30 days. I ran the cmdlet again after the policy ran and could see a reduction in each users deleted items.

      I don't see any obvious differences between the two but I am probably missing something.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Managed folder policy not working

        Oh it's not my idea about the different deleted items folder. The users have that Deleted Items Folder which is visible using Outlook and affected by managed folder policies.

        Then you have the deleted items folder at the server where items land when users simply empty their Deleted Items folder. The settings are set and contolled by administrators at database level.
        Users can restore items from this folder using Outlook.

        I guess both folders are counted for deleted items once you use get-mailboxstatistics.

        Now if users have items in their Deleted Items folder the managed folder policy will work and if the policy is set to permanently delete you will see a difference.

        But if users have only items in the server deleted items folder your policy will run and run and run, but nothing will happen.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Managed folder policy not working

          Originally posted by FischFra View Post
          Oh it's not my idea about the different deleted items folder. The users have that Deleted Items Folder which is visible using Outlook and affected by managed folder policies.

          .
          Thanks, As an experiment I created a new mailbox database with the same limit settings as the original and moved one of the users that showed 10 Gb of deleted items into it. I could see that almost all of the deleted items were removed from that mailbox.

          Then I moved all of the users into the new database. I saw the same result where most deleted items were now removed. This freed up almost 70 Gb of space.

          Comment

          Working...
          X