Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the generation of a CSR lead to downtime?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the generation of a CSR lead to downtime?

Hi Guys,

Long time reader first time poster...

I've got an SSL certificate that is due to expire installed on a clients 2007 Exchange Server.

I'm familiar with the procedure of generating a new CSR uploading it and then subsequently downloading, importing and assigning the certificate to the relevant services.

What I don't know as this is my first SSL renewal is whether generating a new CSR with the same CN and SAN's will revoke or break the current certificate while I wait for the renewal to be approved.

I'm using GoDaddy for the cert and I'm about to put the same question to their Tech Support but I thought I'd ask the question here as I came up blank looking online.

Kind regards
    Nick

Re: Will the generation of a CSR lead to downtime?

Should not affect it -- it is a new certificate request separate from the old one
    IIRC the last time I created one, users never noticed!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

it won't affect your downtime.
      even when you bind the certificate, it will only be a momentary impact, and mst likely noone will notice
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

As long as you are running on Windows 2008 you shouldn't have an issue. If it's Windows 2003 then IIS won't let you generate a CSR without removing the site's current cert. (which is the dumbest thing)

For Windows 2003 I think I used to generate the CSR on a different server thenexport it to the production server.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses...

Yes I'm on 2008 R2 however I didn't think that would make much difference which OS version I was running because with Exchange 2007 the certificate is part of Exchange not IIS?

I feel some what more confident now that I'll not end up with 75 calls from all the smart phone users complaing that their email, calendar and contacts are not working.

Thanks again
          Nick

Comment

No, the cert is in IIS even if it is generated by Exchange
            But you won't have problems anyway!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X