Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate mailboxes

Hi.
    I have an "old" Exchange 2007 server and a "new" Exchange 2007 server. (different hardware, different data center)

I want to migrate the inboxes from the "old server" to the "new server".

how can I do this?

Many thanks

Re: Migrate mailboxes

Are they in the same Exchange organisation and have access to each other?
    If so, a mailbox move would work, although might take some time
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your prompt response

They are both seperate servers and not joined together (but both have public IP's) - they are in their own domain (both happens to be the same domain name)

Comment

Is export to PST an option?
        (RSGs will not, IIRC, work cross forest)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

sure, its an option as long as:

1) I am able to restore those mailboxes with those emails from the old server, to the new server
          2) be able to still log on using the same user accounts as before and "see" those emails as before

as long as I dont have to reinstall exchange or anything (in case if something goes wrong in the process) - then all is fine

However I must say that I am wanting to make sure that the database mailbox is on a seperate physical disk on the server (i.e not C:\ but another drive dedicated for Exchange)

Comment

It won't be the same user accounts as it is two separate domains, but the PST will be able to be imported to the appropriate user account on the new server
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

The domains maybe seperate but they are both the same named domains (CompanyX), and the same user accounts created. Difference is... the physical machine itself (and IP's)

How can I go about doing the export/import of the PST?

I should also state that the users dont use outlook client - just OWA (or their phone)

is it not possible to move the mailbox DB from the old server and "attach" it to the new one?

Comment

According to Microsoft, database moves must be within the same forest/exchange organisation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb123954.aspx
                There may be ways involving ADMT but you have the same domain name so cannot create the trusts you will require.

In this case, I think your only option will be the export-pst and import-pst cmdlets
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate that.

are you able to provide some link/tutorial or something for me to be able to export and import the PST you are suggesting? Sorry - I am not an exchange expert (but learning!)

And what about in regards to user accounts? If I have "User1" and its mailboxes on the old server and the same user, "User1" created on the new server - would it import correctly?
                  Last edited by firehawk; 17th January 2012, 15:44.

Comment

Help yourself: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=exc...w=1421&bih=840

Although hold off for Sembee as he may know a way to move the dB even if it isnt supported!
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

lol thanks. will do

Comment

OK, reading and thinking more about it - PST maybe a little inconvenient (install office...etc...etc...)

ideally, would love to just move the DB from the source server to the new server.

*awaits patiently for a miracle*

Comment

No, you do not need to install office. Exchange has the Export-PST cmdlet which will let you export to a PST from the server, and the corresponding Import-PST cmdlet to do the reverse.

Office may make things easier (drag and drop) but is not required
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

sweeett

well... let me try.

ill report of my er...failures and stupidities for everyones amusement

Comment

ok so I cannot do the export on the exchange server because its obviously a 64bit system and the export/pst cmdlet needs 32bit only....
                              I am also in a place (physical location) where I cannot exactly download the full Exchange 2007 SP 32bit which contains the 32bit management tools due to bandwidth restrictions (sods law!)

where to now?
                              Last edited by firehawk; 18th January 2012, 07:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X