Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mail Box Database 92GB with only 5 users and c. 1.5GB Total in there Mailboxes???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail Box Database 92GB with only 5 users and c. 1.5GB Total in there Mailboxes???

Hi There

My Mailbox DB was getting too large for the disk it is on so I moved over some mailboxes totaling c. 17GB to a new DB, however it did not free that space on the source drive when I did so.

Also the original database is 92GB but has only 5 mailboxes using a total of c. 1.5 GB??

What can be the reason for this??

Thanks for your help.

Re: Mail Box Database 92GB with only 5 users and c. 1.5GB Total in there Mailboxes???

Is this Exchange 2007 or 2010? Do free up the space you would need to do an offline defragmentation. The easiest way perhaps is to move all the remaining user mailboxes to another database and other relevant elements (depending on your Exchange version) and then delete the database.

Before doing so, I would encourage the end users to delete the emails they no longer require and ensure that the recycle bin has been emptied.

You can then delete the large database.

Comment

Re: Mail Box Database 92GB with only 5 users and c. 1.5GB Total in there Mailboxes???

thanks for the fast reply.

Its exchange 2010. I will do as you suggest , do you know what the course of this is?

Comment

Exchange will never give up space in a database, just mark it as "empty" or "white" space
        SO at one point you had 92Gb of data, and users have been deleting lots of c**p
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is there any other way apart from deleting the Database or fragmentation of the drive to reclaim this space?
          Last edited by Hijinxx; 17th January 2012, 12:55.

Comment

Defrags will not do it -- only way is to move mailboxes to a new database and delete the old one
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

defragmentation of the drive definitely won't do it.
              an offline defrag of the mailstore MIGHT. (Simon will come along soon and tell us if i'm wrong.)

Ossian's way is probably the best. Setup another mailstore, and move the users to the new mail store, then delete the old.

To do an offline defrag, your mailstore has to be offline, so no email access for anyone. Also, you need StoreX2 amount of disk space free on your volume.
              92GB will take a long time to OD as well... assume up to 48 hours or more.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                Also, you need StoreX2 amount of disk space free on your volume.
                92GB will take a long time to OD as well... assume up to 48 hours or more.
                Now Simon will come and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you only need enough space as the logical size of the database. An offline defrag is essentially just copying the data to a new database that has no whitespace.

But I agree with Tom. Move the users to a new database and delete the old one. In 2010 there should be no downtime for the users.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I created a new DB and moved all users over and deleted the old one.

Comment

Well done
                    Out of morbid curiousity, what is the size of the new database?
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

I also recommended the same.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                        Now Simon will come and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you only need enough space as the logical size of the database. An offline defrag is essentially just copying the data to a new database that has no whitespace.
                        You need the same size plus some overhead. We usually say 1.5x the size of the source. However I have never done an offline defrag on Exchange 2007 or higher, because there is no point. Move the data to a new database, drop the original. Zero downtime, zero risk.

Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                        X