Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can send but not receive

Hi.
    im doing a migration from one ms exchange 2007 server to another.

im not an expert on exchange but learning as I go on.

Ive been able to migrate most things. I think the PTR issue I had has been fixed which is great, and there doesnt seem to be any warnings or errors when analysing the headers using mxtoolbox.

now, the problem is I can send emails, but not receive them. I just get a postmaster error and no error messages apart from it failed to send the email

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

[email protected]

any ideas why?

Re: can send but not receive

Has the external IP for your MX record changed then? If so, sometimes changes can take a while to propogate.
    Does the firewall point to the new server or old still?

Is the old server going to be removed? What was the reason behind a new server? What roles exist on each server? Does mail route between the internal servers ok?

Comment

you need to give us more of the failure message....

the other possible scenario is you havne't changed the port forward on your router
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Sure guys,

well there is no firewall changes or anything. just using the standard Windows Firewall. I didnt need to configure it either for the old server.

as for the MX records, its been more than 24 hours for sure. So I would have thought its propogated over.

As for the reason for moving the other server, its purely because I wanted to change hosting providers. It was installed in the same way and is just a simple Exchange server, no edge transport or anything.

The server is a DC server itself, and I know its bad practice to install exchange on the same server as the DC however its fine for my usage and is more of an experiment than anything else.

I remember from last time when I installed exchange, I had to create custom sender/connection and allow the internet access - and I did that.
        Accepted domains is the same as before.... just my domain name.

as for the failure message - thats all I get when the email bounces back.

what else can I check and post?

Comment

I doubt this makes any difference, since I also got this error in the event logs as the other server but was able to send and receive email fine. I still do have the old server and slowly migrating over. I checked the settings and all seems to be ok and the same.

Microsoft Exchange could not find a certificate that contains the domain name mail.xxx.co.uk in the personal store on the local computer. Therefore, it is unable to support the STARTTLS SMTP verb for the connector Internet with a FQDN parameter of mail.xxx.co.uk. If the connector's FQDN is not specified, the computer's FQDN is used. Verify the connector configuration and the installed certificates to make sure that there is a certificate with a domain name for that FQDN. If this certificate exists, run Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Services SMTP to make sure that the Microsoft Exchange Transport service has access to the certificate key.

Comment

Do you have a receive connector setup? If so, what are the settings? If not then you'll need to.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks.

Definately got the Receive connector setup. There are 2 setup, of which are defaults set up by Exchange

Client [computerName] - Enabled

FQDN: computerName.domain.local
              Network local IP Addresses to use: all available IP's on port 587
              Receive mail from remote servers on IP addresses: 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255
              Authentcation: TLS, Basic, Exchange server auth, integrated Windows auth (all ticked)
              Permission groups: all but partners ticked

Default [computerName] - Enabled

FQDN: computerName.domain.local
              Network local IP addresses to use: all available on port 25
              Receive mail from remote servers having IP addresses: 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255
              Authentcation: TLS, Basic, Exchange server auth, integrated Windows auth (all ticked)
              Permission groups: all but partners ticked

FYI if I change the FQDN to mail.xxx.co.uk I get the error:

--------------------------------------------------------
              Microsoft Exchange Error
              The following error(s) occurred while saving changes:

set-receiveconnector
              Failed
              Error:
              When the AuthMechanism parameter on a Receive connector is set to the value ExchangeServer, you must set the FQDN parameter on the Receive connector to one of the following values: the FQDN of the transport server "computerName.domain.local", the NetBIOS name of the transport server "computerName", or $null.

OK
              Last edited by firehawk; 14th January 2012, 03:43.

Comment

so the new mailserver, and the old mailserver, both have separate pulic ip addreses ?
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

yes, that is correct

Comment

um....its working now :-/

Comment

Working...
                    X