DNS Exchange help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Exchange help

Hi. im trying to do a migration from one server to another using the same exchange server 2007.

I have transferred my domain to another provider, changed the A record to point to the new server IP.

I am using WS2008R2 and it is an AD and has DNS. yes, exchange is on this too.

Now, when I send emails, they go to the junk inbox of the recepient. From what I understand with my very little knowledge, that RDNS needs to be set up? (Reverse lookup)

I requested the web server provider to set up RDNS and they said they have done this. its been 24 hours now.

however when using tools like mxtoolbox.com, it says that no PTR was found for the domain that I have

what else do I need to do? What do I need to set up on the server?

the IP's are not blacklisted.

Thanks

Re: DNS Exchange help

Unless your web server is sending the emails, setting up a PTR record for it won't affect emails.

Whatever public IP address your Exchange server uses needs to have a PTR record setup that points to the Exchange server's public A record. This is usually done by your ISP (or whoever assigned the public IP for your Exchange server)
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks.
      The server hosted provided the IP

I hope they can do it and not charge me.

Thing is, I didn't need to do this at all on my other server...

Comment

I recently ran into an issue where a client was changing IP addresses and when they did they started getting bounces from certain services (AOL being one of them). It turns out that the new IP address had no PTR record associated with it whereas in the past they've always had something regarding the ISP for the PTR record.

So what it might be is that there it no PTR record and some spam filtering services don't like that. AOL apparently doesn't care where the PTR record points to just as long as there is one.

I hope they don't charge you. I've never been charged for a PTR record change. (over 10 years dealing with DNS now )
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I've put in a request. Lets see what happens.

Thanks all.

Comment

It is also worth reviewing SPF, if you have an existing one and ensure it is valid for your external IP addresses or set one up.

Comment

Thanks.

they are asking where it should point to. Should it be xxx.com or mail.xxx.com?

Comment

It should point to the A record that points to the IP address of the Exchange server. So that's probably mail.xxx.com.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The SPF created could be based on MX records held in your domain if you wish to save having to change the SPF or should you ever forget to change it following IP changes. Openspf.org is worth using to create one.

Comment

Working...
                  X