Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backup Exec - GRT restore of old data to new server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Exec - GRT restore of old data to new server?

I have an external hard drive with a B2D set from Backup Exec. It specifically contains a backup of an old Exchange 2003 server. I had inventoried and cataloged the set on a different machine that is on a different domain, etc. Exchange 2010 SP1 is in this "new" environment. In looking at the backup files, I think there is only a brick-layer backup of the mailboxes....not a backup of the entire store.

I am able to drill down through the catalog and see the mailbox I want to restore. I am just having trouble restoring it to either a new account, a recovery database or an existing account.

I have tried different combinations and seem to come up with the same error(s):

Final error: 0xe00002fd - Cannot restore properties for one of more messages or folders. Review the credentials for the resources of the job, and then run the job again.

Restore- \\mail\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
    V-79-57344-765 - Cannot set one or more properties for <whatever>

It does create the folders, gives what appears to be a correct byte count.....just does not restore any messages. I am using the administrator account as the Backup Exec system account. Even get this message when trying to restore to the administrator mailbox.

Re: Backup Exec - GRT restore of old data to new server?

I'm almost positive you can't restore an Exchange 2003 backup into an Exchange 2010 database.

How old is the backup? There are utilities that can extract emails out of the database file so you may need to go that route if the server no longer exists.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I am beginning to realize that. I am going to have to find an Exchange 2003 environment that has Backup Exec to do this. What fun!

Problem is I think the backup is brick layer only....not an information store backup....so I don't have EDB files. I have used PowerControls in the past and it works well.

Comment

I haven't used the latest version of Backup Exec but I don't think there's an option to only have the brick layer backup.

You might be able to select the Information Store to be restored but redirect the restore to an alternate location. (note that you won't be able to select the database files from the file system backup but the "Information Store" selection is what backs up those files)

Or you can setup a test environment to restore the database to: http://www.symantec.com/business/sup...t&id=TECH29816
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X