Exchange 2007 to 2010 w/ single label domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 to 2010 w/ single label domain

I have Exchange 2007 running in a server 2003 domain that was migrated from a 2000 domain. It has a single label name (org instead of org.something)

There are 2 servers that are DCs and ~ 30 computers in the domain.

I am looking at moving to Exchange 2010 at some point. Exchange 2010 will not install into a single domain. Also from everything I read it is not possible to rename a domain with Exchange 2007 installed.

I am thinking of possible methods to do this. If I copy the store and remove Exchange and rename the domain my reading tells me it is not possible to reattach the store to a new install of Exchange because the rename breaks references.

The only idea I have would be to export the mailboxes to PSTs, remove Exchange, rename the domain and then import all of the PSTs. Since the hardware is getting older this would be on a new server running server 2008.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Re: Exchange 2007 to 2010 w/ single label domain

you could look at using ADMT to do a migration from an old domain to a new.. might be a bit easier.. ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Allthough single labled domain names are not the best option and might not be supported by Microsoft in the future, right now you are able to install Exchange 2010 in such a domain.

At some point you might have to migrate out of the singel label domain and as tehcamel already wrote using admt would be a good option.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        you could look at using ADMT to do a migration from an old domain to a new.. might be a bit easier.. ?
        Just trying to come up with the least downtime plan to do this. I think I will need to set up some VMs and get a better idea about using ADMT.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          Thanks, I haven't installed Exchange 2010 but everything I read claimed it wouldn't install in a single label domain. Even the service packs on 2007 issue a stern warning something like "this is a single label domain and won't be supported on future products".

I will be setting up a test environment to try some ideas.

Comment

Supported but (still) not recommended:
            http://blogs.technet.com/b/ferris/ar...supported.aspx
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X