Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multi domain in exchange server 2007/2010

Hi everyone,

need assistance for multi domain email routing.

consider i have 3 domain in the same forest and each have sub domains. If i want a single domain name for the external world to send/receve emails. what are the settings, i have to perform.

Re: multi domain in exchange server 2007/2010

WINDOWS domains and EMAIL domains are completely unconnected.
    Therefore if you want to use a single domain for email then you just configure it in the usual way.

All of the WINDOWS domains in the forest will need to have Domain Prep run on them and if you do any further upgrades (Service packs etc) then the process has to be repeated before installing the service pack.

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi Simon,

Thanks for reply. I would like to clear few doubts which i have, is domain in Windows environment are different compare to exchange and can u elaborate with my query with an example, so that the concept would be clear to me

Comment

As you requested an example, this could be as easy as this:

Windows domains
        Root domain: rdom.local
        Sub domain1: subdom1.rdom.local
        Sub domain2: subdom2.rdom.local

EMail domains can be freely chosen now:
        rdom.org
        rdom.com
        or any valid email domain you want.

Comment

Hi FischFra,

Can u explain how it works or how to configure exchange server in domains and subdomains to receive emails for a user whose id is created in sub domain subdom1.rdom.com
          let us know if any additional settings we have to perform to get email from a domain user id [email protected], as the vks userId is in sub domain

Comment

There is no difference between users in different domains. Just configure a / the accepted domain, the email address policy and provide the appropriate email address to the users.

For senders there are no special settings needed at least not in Exchange 2010, if you have any special solution for anti spam you have to check this as well.

Comment

Thanks FischFra,

but do we have to add the subdomains in accepted domain to get email.

let us discuss with a scenario, consider a user on domain [email protected] and another user (allen) is on subdomain abc.company.com and i want to get email for allen as [email protected] but not with subdomain as [email protected].
              so still do we have to add abc.company.com to accepted domain. or what settings we have to perform

Comment

As long as allen doesn't have an email address with [email protected] he will not get any mail for this address. As written, create the accepted domains, create email adress policies and get the users the appropriate SMTP addresses.

So let's assume you have two users - Allen and Bob and SMTP domains company.com and abc.company.com.

So you have two accepted domains
                company.com
                and
                abc.company.com.

Allen will have the SMTP address [email protected] and Bob will have [email protected]. As long as Allen doesn't get [email protected] and Bob doesn't get [email protected] too they will not get mails for the respective other domain.

Comment

Hi FischFra,

I would prefer to have [email protected] and [email protected] email id. but not as [email protected]. so do i have to add domain abc.company.com in accepted domain.

Comment

You only have to add name spaces into accepted domains if you want your users have email addresses regarding to this name space.

So to stand within the example, no only company.com will be needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X