Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge Mailbox on Exchange 2007

Guys I need your help,

I have started working for a new client here, they have one very large mailbox over 90GB and growing. basically this mailbox is used for some automatic order generation and its kind of shared mailbox and nobody has taken care of it last two years or so. Now I have been tasked to copy or export some of the sub folder inside the inbox to PST and then delete the content of the sub folder but leave the sub folder. So far I have tried PS scripts to do this but it has only worked with built-in folders like Inbox, deleted items, sent items etc... I want it to work with sub folders inside Inbox. I found this script from Google.

$r = [regex]'/';
    $exclude = Get-Mailbox -Identity username | Get-MailboxFolderStatistics | where {$_.folderpath -ne "/" -and $_.FolderPath -ne "/Inbox"} | Select-Object FolderPath | Foreach {$_.folderpath.tostring()} | foreach {$r.replace($_,”\”,-1)}
    Export-Mailbox -identity username –ExcludeFolders $exclude –PSTFolderPath c:\1.pst

How can I achieve this? Thanks to everyone in advance.

Yantra.

Re: Huge Mailbox on Exchange 2007

90gb?!?!?! Daaaaang!
    If it was me, I'd jump on someones pc that has access to the mailbox, and do it that way.
    Export just that folder to pst, then have someone with admin rights (or temp make them admin of the mailbox) and rm the content.

Comment

Thanks Harvey,

They are accessing it via web mail right now, Can I try accessing it with Outlook and try export the PST? I am afraid that it may just crash the exchange server or make it very slow?

Have you seen such a large mailbox accessible from outlook? it that is the case then it may make my life bit easy.

Comment

Any one has ideas? it would be a great help for me.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Yantra View Post
          Thanks Harvey,

They are accessing it via web mail right now, Can I try accessing it with Outlook and try export the PST? I am afraid that it may just crash the exchange server or make it very slow?

Have you seen such a large mailbox accessible from outlook? it that is the case then it may make my life bit easy.
          Grab a pc w/ outlook, and set it up to exchange on the admin of that mailbox.
          *MUST uncheck cache mode*
          (the option under where you put in the server name,
          when manually setting up an exchange account)

If you let it run overnight, you'll minimize any performance worries,
          since no one will be using it.

It won't crash the exchange server. It might take a couple days to all load in, but it'll all be there eventually.
          From there, do as you need to do, then delete the profile in outlook.

90gb is huge, and depending on
          the server, the network, the pc you'll be using w/ outlook, etc,
          it will take a long time to get the mailbox. Make sure the pc power options are all set to never,
          and turn off the timeout for the hard drive under advanced power options, so there won't be any roadblocks.

Let me know how it goes!
          Last edited by nharvey; 19th December 2011, 21:40. Reason: Gram-ma!

Comment

I tried it on spare PC and it seems to have loaded that large mailbox but then it was trying to retrieve data from the exchange server and my fear came through as mail delivery on the exchange halted and there was a large queue on the exchange so I had to kill the outlook and restart exchange services to make it work again.

Looks like that route is not going to work for me, may need out of box ideas i guess.

any one please???

Comment

Originally posted by Yantra View Post
              I tried it on spare PC and it seems to have loaded that large mailbox but then it was trying to retrieve data from the exchange server and my fear came through as mail delivery on the exchange halted and there was a large queue on the exchange so I had to kill the outlook and restart exchange services to make it work again.

Looks like that route is not going to work for me, may need out of box ideas i guess.

any one please???

What kind of setup is the server / network /spare pc?

would it be possible to bring it down until it can load?

Comment

I have to say, a 90gb mailbox is well outside of the design parameters of Exchange and Outlook, so you are going to struggle to do anything with it. PST files only go to 20gb max.

Personally I would probably build a temporary Exchange server on another system (eval version of Windows and Exchange will be fine) and then move this mailbox to the new server. There you can work on it.
                Whatever database it was in on the original server would need to be replaced due to the large amount of white space that has now been left behind.

Whatever you do is going to take a very long time and will almost certainly involve multiple passes of Outlook or export scripts. Something you might want to consider is loading OWA, creating some sub directories (year, month etc) and then running rules against the main inbox to get it down to a small number. If there are 10,000s of messages in the inbox then Outlook will simply hang due to the way it is designed to work.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I believe he just needs the info for one folder, and then to empty it..

anyway of sharing folders in outlook? You could create a temp user and allow access to that folder, get it to pst, empty it, etc.

..or move just that folder to public folders, temporarily?

How big is the folder you're trying to get? Any idea?

Comment

Thanks Harvery and Simon,

I have four subfolders inside that mailbox each about 10-15GB range that I need to export as PST, trouble is I can export the built-in folder like inbox with the script below,

$r = [regex]'/';$exclude = Get-Mailbox -Identity username | Get-MailboxFolderStatistics | where {$_.folderpath -ne "/" -and $_.FolderPath -ne "/inbox"} | Select-Object FolderPath | Foreach {$_.folderpath.tostring()} | foreach {$r.replace($_,"\",-1)}; Export-Mailbox -identity username -ExcludeFolders -PSTFolderPath c:\1.pst

But it does not work for subfolders. some help here is much appreciated.

TO Simon,

If I add another mailbox server role, do I have to move the whole datastore or just move that big mailbox on a new datastore on new server? I guess I may have to move the whole datastore to reclaim the space on the original mailbox server, it is about 220GB in size. here is what I am planning,

Setup new mailbox server
                    move the 220GB data store to that server? (220GB datastore move how long is it going to take?)
                    OR just move that big mailbox to new datastore, but then how can I reclaim the space?
                    If I move the whole datastore on new server then I should have 220GB free-up on the original mailbox server? then I can create new datastore on the original mailbox server and move some of the other mailboxes back to the original mailbox server.

Does this sound like a good plan?

please help me out here.

Thanks for all your input.

Yantra

Comment

No, you shouldn't move the entire database, because that just moves the white space. You have to create a new database and then move the mailboxes, so that the original database is left behind and can then be dropped.

If that large mailbox is going to left around, then it should really be in its on database because in the event of a DR it will significantly increase the recovery time. You can have four databases in Exchange 2007. That will allow you to split your regular users from that large mailbox.

Simon.
                      --
                      Simon Butler
                      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Can you answer these for me?:

Can you bring down the email for (a day, a weekend, a night, etc)?

What kind of hardware is the server?

What kind of hardware is the best client you have available?

Comment

Working...
                        X