No announcement yet.

Creating an Exchange 2010 test environment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating an Exchange 2010 test environment

I have been tasked with creating a test environment for 2010 Exchange, as we need to test the recently released SP2 update but not in a live environment.

The environment is fully virtualised, with a primary and secondary site each consisting of a CAS/HTS and Mailbox server, and a DAG replicatiing the single mailbox database.

I plan on using the clone feature within VMWare to essentially provide an exact copy of each VM within an isolated environment, however it seems this is not possible without taking the VM offline, can anyone provide guidance as how best to do this, or recommend a better course of action?

Re: Creating an Exchange 2010 test environment

"Bare metal" restore your backups to new VMs would probably be the easiest method.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Creating an Exchange 2010 test environment

Just build a new platform in VMWARE. I can build a test environment in less than three hours, so it shouldn't be too difficult to replicate your environment.
      Do everything from ISOs, Windows 2008 R2 installs in less than 15 minutes.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.