Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange certificate - can I reuse the current one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange certificate - can I reuse the current one?

Currently I have 2003 environment with OWA, activesync etc.. I setup my own certificate authority on one of the servers, I made my own certificate and everything has worked well for years, our phones use SSL as does OWA

(of course on OWA the users may get a warning about it not being verifiable depending on their settings). This is ok for us.

This certificate is not for mail.company.com , but instead for our internal server name , lets call it SERVER1 (which is the one that has 2003 OWA and CA installed on it).

can I use this same cert to secure outlook, outlook web app and activesync in exchange 2010?

I do not need nor want RPC over HTTPS for outlook anywhere in case that makes a difference.

Re: Exchange certificate - can I reuse the current one?

Most probably not, you have to provide a certificate with more then one name, also called UC or SAN certificate.

But if you already have a internal CA it's a questions of minutes to get a new certificate for Exchange 2010 where the server and the users are happy with.

For Active Sync you have to find a way to provide the devices with the certificate from your CA.

If you are not familar with the whole tasks it's probably better to use a certificate provided by a official CA, but as always it's up to you.

Comment

Running your own certificate authority for anything public facing I see as a poor economic decision. Once you have found a way to get the root certificate on to each device and then deployed it, the financial saving isn't worth the cost saving.

Plus you will always get a certificate prompt on OWA access, and telling users to ignore prompts is a bad idea. A unified communications certificate, trusted by most mobile devices is less than US$80/year. Install it, forget about it.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by FischFra View Post
        Most probably not, you have to provide a certificate with more then one name, also called UC or SAN certificate.

But if you already have a internal CA it's a questions of minutes to get a new certificate for Exchange 2010 where the server and the users are happy with.

For Active Sync you have to find a way to provide the devices with the certificate from your CA.

If you are not familar with the whole tasks it's probably better to use a certificate provided by a official CA, but as always it's up to you.
        yeah after I made the thread I found a really nice guide at emailsecuritymatters.com that walks through doing the right kind of certificate for exchange 2010. I will just make a new one

and deploying it to devices is not a big deal either, sure it's manual labor for most part but what are you gonna do, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
          Running your own certificate authority for anything public facing I see as a poor economic decision. Once you have found a way to get the root certificate on to each device and then deployed it, the financial saving isn't worth the cost saving.

Plus you will always get a certificate prompt on OWA access, and telling users to ignore prompts is a bad idea. A unified communications certificate, trusted by most mobile devices is less than US$80/year. Install it, forget about it.

Simon.
          I'm not arguying against this, I would love to and we probably will be buying a cert, but for the migration itself I would just prefer to avoid it. Our OWA use ise VERY limited, maybe few people use it per week (if that) , it's mostly activesync

who would you recommend for the signed cert? I found digicert for around $115, can't say I have seen anything under $100/yr.

Comment

www.godaddy.com or www.certificatesforexchange.com are under $80 per year on a 3 year cert
            (Actually the latter us $60 per year regardless)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

this may be a dumb question, but with a signed cert I wouldn't need to deploy it to each smartphone? I can't say I am an expert on certificates, but I was under the impression that the process is the same

Comment

No -- devices will use the chain of trust:

Smartphone trusts Verisign (other providers exist) -- this trust is builtin to the phone OS
                Verisign trusts GoDaddy
                GoDaddy trusts your server

therefore phone trusts your server

Zero effort on the client side -- well worth the $$$
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

well that explains the cost, lol

alright you've convinced me, I'm buying one from http://certificatesforexchange.com/

thanks for all the help!

Comment

certificatesForExchange.com is the best place for sure. I got one just the other day - relatively quick and easy. (And I'm reselling it to someone, so I took advantange of a coupon ?I found somewhere)

The other reason that I don't think I've seen listed above yet is, ignore all the RPCoHTTP stuff, but exchange 2007/2010 rely very heavily on Autodiscover and EWS services - both of which need a UCC certificate bound to them...
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                    X