Echange 2010 SP2 GAL segmentation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echange 2010 SP2 GAL segmentation?

I know its just out, but has anyone (Hi Sembee ) looked into GAL segmentation on Exchange 2010 SP2?

I have a client with multiple legal entities who wants to deploy a custom GAL to each one, and hide the default GAL (has been for some time, but now thinks they can roll it out tomorrow

only gives notices about its forthcoming arrival in the SP

[Edit]
    Should have googled further....
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh529948.aspx covers most of what I need
    Last edited by Ossian; 10th December 2011, 11:34.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Echange 2010 SP2 GAL segmentation?

I haven't looked at it yet. Not sure if I will at the moment, no demand for it from any of my clients. I am told it works well by those on TAP, but it is something I would have to test in my lab platform, and I simply don't have the time at the moment.

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Being the sad g*t that I am, I have been trying it this (Saturday) morning in my test environment.

Basic process:
      1) Ensure the Company attribute of the users is correctly filled (or use a custom attribute) and, while we're at it, put them all in an OU of their own.
      2) Create a new GAL using: New-GlobalAddressList -Name <name> -ConditionalCompany <company attribute in AD> -IncludedRecipients MailboxUsers
      3) Create a Room address listusing Exchange EMC, adding appropriate filters to find relevant rooms (note a Room address list is required, so create a dummy one if needed
      4) Create any other address lists needed
      5) Create an Offline Address book using EMC
      6) Add all required address lists
      7) Create a new Address Book Policy in the EMC, specifying the GAL, OAB and Room Address List (all mandatory), plus other lists as required
      8 ) Apply the Address Book Policy to users in the Recipients Container in the EMC (under Mailbox Settings tab)

Tested using OWA -- only the lists specified in the policy are visible. Presumably Outlook will pick up the same lists but not checked yet
      Last edited by Ossian; 10th December 2011, 14:35.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We have also done the above and this is true in OWA but through outlook although the look up is the GAL specified in the ABP users can still see the Default GAL?? Is this correct?

Comment

Just tested in Outlook 2010 and XP (don't ask ) and in both it displays the correct GAL for the ABP, and no sign of other address lists or GALs
          Tom Jones
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Just tested in Outlook 2010 and XP (don't ask ) and in both it displays the correct GAL for the ABP, and no sign of other address lists or GALs
            So in the address book you do not have "Global Address List" on the drop down?

Comment

It shows the correct (segmented) Global Address List -- not the full one
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Strange, i do get the segmented GAL but also have the Default Global Address List which has all users in it!?

The only thing i have done different to you when creating the GAL i just specified an OU using -RecipientContainer

Do i also need to use the companly attribute?

Comment

I didn't try -recipientcontainer so cannot speak for that. Using -conditionalcompany definitely worked
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Lol, created one exactly the same way you have and the GAL i created only displays the correct mailboxes but users can select "Global Address List" which has all the unhidden mailboxes!?

Comment

What client?
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

My apologies for barging in but I've been waiting for this service pack for this very reason, but can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it? Thanks much.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                          My apologies for barging in but I've been waiting for this service pack for this very reason, but can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it? Thanks much.
                          Seriously?
                          Google is broken, panic, Google is broken.

Exchange 2010 SP2 in to Google. 4th hit for me.

Simon.
                          --
                          Simon Butler
                          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Somehow I missed it. My bad. Apologies everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                              What client?
                              Same result on outlook 2003 & 2007 not tried on 2010. Is there limited functionality for the ABP on certain clients?

Comment

Working...
                              X