No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 removal after installing 2010

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 removal after installing 2010

I have received to my hands a system with both EXCH 2003 and EXCH 2010 installed in the environment.

I dont see the need of the exchange 2003 operating anymore.
    when i just power off the 2003 machine all mail service is going done in the company, and i have no data left on that box, all mailboxs and public folders already moved to exch 2010.

Could anyone give me a direction on how to remove completely exch 2003?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Exchange 2003 removal after installing 2010

First hit on if I search on your thread title
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Thank you for your answer cruachan.

The issue is that I dont want to remove the exchange 2003 machine before everything is working flawlessly. Now when I shutdown exchange 2003 machine and leave only exchange 2010 operational all connectivity to the mail server is lost.
      Outlooks are disconnect and exchange 2010 name is not resolvable when creating a new profile.

I have another DC except the exchange 2003 one of course.

Is there anything I should do before I disconnect the old exchange?

Exchange doesn't work like that.
        The "power off and see what breaks" method isn't a valid test because things WILL break, because Exchange expects the other server to be there.
        You need to go through the Microsoft documentation to complete the migration.

If Exchange is installed on a domain controller then shutting down that server will break Exchange because when Exchange is installed on a DC all Exchange servers will ONLY use that domain controller, no others.
        Also don't think you can fix the problem by running DCPROMO on the server to remove the DC functionality, as that is not supported and more often than not will break Exchange. Complete the migration so that Exchange is removed, then if you want to remove that server you need to do so as you would any other domain controller.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.