No announcement yet.

Internal and outgoing email works, but receiving external domain email does not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal and outgoing email works, but receiving external domain email does not

I am having a difficult time tracking down what can be causing my issue.

My exchange server can:
    a) send email to external domains (gmail, aol, hotmail, etc..)
    b) send email to internal
    c) receive email from internal
    d) CANNOT send receive emails from external domains.

Line item d) works only after a reboot. I have been looking at performance monitor to see if I see anything out of the normal, but I am lost on what to check. This issue only surfaced after this month’s Windows Updates, so I am not sure if that is the culprit or not.

What should I look into or what should I check – little stumped here because I thought it was a DNS issue at first, but a reboot wouldn’t address that.

thank you.

Re: Internal and outgoing email works, but receiving external domain email does not

Which Exchange version is it?
    Either way (2007 or 2010) you will need to (check you have already
    configure an accepted domain
    configure an address policy
    forward port 25 from your router to the Exchange server
    Open port 25 inbound on the firewall
    Set up public MX records

Since (I presume) it was working, I suspect most of this is OK and would probably start looking at the firewall

Have you gone to www.testexchangeconnectivity.com and run the SMTP tests there?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Internal and outgoing email works, but receiving external domain email does not

Ossian

Exchange 2007

No infrastructure changes have been made, and a reboot of the server solves the issue, and external email start flowing in. I will check that link you sent me, and see what it tells me.

What other items should I look at?

Comment

how much disk space do you have?
        can you telnet to port 25 on the mail server from the server itself?
        What about from another server in your organisation?
        what do the event logs say (especially anything about backpressure)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X