No announcement yet.

Understanding legacy host name

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding legacy host name

Please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly.

Today, we have two host names associated with our Exchange 2003 environment ( and Mail points to our Exchange BE server internally and externally, and webmail points to our FE server (and thus ActiveSync) internally and externally. I intend to eliminate "webmail" has a host name and use "mail" for all internal and external client access.

It seems to me that using "" would be a perfectly fine alternative to; I wouldn't have to change our DNS at all.

When I move a user from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010, am I correct in understanding that they'll have to update date the ActiveSync device (e.g. iPhone/Android) profile to point to After the mailbox is moved from 2003 to 2010, won't allow access to the mailbox anymore.

Re: Understanding legacy host name is an example -- the important thing is you need two different DNS names, one pointing to the 2003 FE and the other to the 2010 CAS array/server

You will need to update mobile devices
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Understanding legacy host name

The problem with using a name that users may already have in bookmarks or just remember is that Exchange doesn't upgrade, so if a user logs in to Exchange 2003 OWA with an Exchange 2010 mailbox, it will not work.
      End users don't know the "legacy" host name. As such personally I would put both of those existing names on to the new SSL certificate, along with legacy and the other required names and point them both at Exchange 2010. The legacy host name would then point at Exchange 2003.

Otherwise you are simply making more work for yourself with end users asking why they can't connect to OWA after migration.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.