Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Exchange 2010 a realistic option?

Hi All

I work for a company that presenly uses POP3 Mail. There are various companies within the group. Each company has a registered domain on the internet so email is easy to setup and manage, All companies are located in the same building. Put simply, all users log in to the same local domain (i.e. group.local) for file sharing but their Outlook client uses POP3 and is confiured to coleect mail for their respective companies i.e. companyy1.com, compay2.com. The total number of users across all 4 organisations is 30. Some organisations have only 2 users, one 18 etc.

Now in order for to share contacts and calendars, we are thinking about going the exchange route. We are considering a hosted option. We have looked at MS365 but this is not an option at present as we would have to make a considerable investment in new hardware and Office 2010 licenses.

Can you advise on the best way forward?

Thanks in Advance

Re: Is Exchange 2010 a realistic option?

Exchange is definitely an option.
    As to whether a hosted solution would be better than an inhouse, you'd have to do the maths.

Office365 would allow you to use just hosted exchange, and utilise your existing Office 2007/2010 licences.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/offic...id=zhWMJuZRN55

it's about $6.00 per user per month
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

With deciding on the approach, the SLA requirements would also need to be a consieration.

Comment

and I think O365 had some nasty down time on it's first few days of being launched..

I worked with another client that used BPOS - also a microsoft hosted solution. Don't know if it's been replaced by o365 though
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I have also heard similar reports, so if your SLA will allow downtime set by another Company, it is worth a consideration. If you need to set an SLA suitable to your environment, you may have to host your own.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            and I think O365 had some nasty down time on it's first few days of being launched..

I worked with another client that used BPOS - also a microsoft hosted solution. Don't know if it's been replaced by o365 though
            BPOS is no longer available for purchase. It's effectively been deprecated in favour of Office365.

And the early issues experienced with the Office 365 launch were DNS related. This was from what i can tell totally outside of Microsoft's control, although most of the DC's were back up again quite quickly with only a maximum of around 4 hours down time in total.

Office 365 is a great platform for Small Businesses.

Comment

Working...
            X