Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding an second exchange server to an existing domain with exchange

Hello,

I currently have a domain controller using server 2008 R2 and exchange 2010 standard installed. I have created another 2008 R2 server, added it to the domain, installed active directory into an existing domain and replicated the AD and DNS.

I would like to install exchange 2010 enterprise onto the second domain controller and eventually migrate over to the new exchange.

If I install exchange 2010 enterprise onto the second server with the other exchange server actively running, I'd like to know if this will cause any problems with the existing exchange server? Also, can you give me any advise on the proper way to perform this migration seemlessly? Is it possible to do the migration without causing any down time for current users?

Any help would be appreciated. I think I've provided enough insight to my scenario.

Re: adding an second exchange server to an existing domain with exchange

Should have no issues adding the second server -- it will see (and be seen by) the first one.

Once it is installed, with Mailbox, HT and CAS roles, move mailboxes to the new one, create PF replicas (and give plenty of time for replication) and create receive connectors. Point incoming mail at the new server. Finally trasfer the CAS role by re-issuing certificates.

All this will be transparent to the users except the last, where they will need to be pointed at the new CAS server (unless your existing one is in a CAS array), so some downtime. Once you are happy, uninstall the old server

Lots of docs online to make the process clearer, but the above is the gist of it.
    Last edited by Ossian; 6th October 2011, 06:44.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X