Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password on OST

Hi,

Is there any way around to protect the mail box that is OST with the password, i have shifted users PST to the mailbox and they no more having password. I am using exchange 2010. Any third party software will also help.

Thanks.

Re: Password on OST

Please explain in detail what you mean. If you mean that you moved their mail from local PSTs to mailboxes in Exchange 2010, then Exchange / AD security is now in place.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You cannot read an OST file without special software -- part of the security measures Wired refers to.

If they are really paranoid, move them off cached mode!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I meant that i have users having mails in the PST which are locally stored in their systems. For backup sake, i am moving their PST's to the mailboxes, first i will backup the PST and then import to the outlook using import wizard. So i case anything goes wrong with the system, I can configure the profile and get all the mails from the server.

Now, users used to enjoy the facility of putting password while opening the outlook because we can put the password on the PST, since i moved all the mails to the mailbox and make it default there is no more password prompt. Even if i use the "always prompt password" option, other user if he is setting on his system using his profile ( i have some situations on the customer end where sometime multiple users uses single profile) can cancel the password prompt and see the emails.

Since mail box size is only 2 GB by default for the users and above 2GB i have to archive or create another PST which will be locally stored on their systems. I am planning to map a network drive, put the PST in it and then link to outlook ( this is only for the desktop users) I am aware of the Microsoft article which warns about sharing PST over the LAN or WAN but i have no other option, if you can give me any other idea, that will be great. Thanks.

Comment

You are trying to break normal Exchange behaviour where one domain account = one mailbox
          Get your multiple users logging on separately

You can increase the size limits for mailboxes as much as you want, and since you have Exchange 2010 (presumably SP1) you can have archive mailboxes on a different database with different limits to the main box.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

I guess there is no solution other than separate profiles.

yeah, am using exchange 2010 SP1, Archiving is also a good idea i was thinking about it, for that i need storage.

Can i make archive data base on remote server other than the existing exchange server? The data base will be on a remote server (Same domain) and linked to the exchange server.

Comment

The databases have to be on an Exchange server, but not a general file server. Alternatively you could deploy a SAN and put them there (there are "free" SAN solutions such as OpenFiler: http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...w=1379&bih=923)

How many users are you supporting, and what sort of infrastructure do you have?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

I have 16 different servers in my origination, four main servers are AD, Exchange, TMG and HUB and CAS. I have almost 120 users, domain is stretched to four company, mine is one of them. The main office has the DC and rest three are ADC's.

Basically am looking for backup solutions with my existing server, i have deployed Symantec and i am taking the backup of the roaming and important users through DLO. Rest of the users have a drive mapped to their profiles having a certain space capacity which they will be using for there important files. I have only with the emails backup for which i need some solution.

I have couple of servers on which i can afford to clear 2TB space for achieving that's why i asked if it is possible to host the database on remote server.

I have never used openfiler before just googled it now, it seems great and i am pretty much attracted to it. I guess i have to install this first on a separate server. I was hoping to install on one of the servers which doesn't have much load.

Comment

IMHO get another exchange license and install it on a server without too much other load
                  You can use DAGs to replicate mailbox databases between them or split the databases between the two servers
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

The way that Exchange security is designed to work is that the workstation provides the security, not Outlook. The only time this changes is when Exchange is in a different forest, when Outlook will prompt to login to the account. Of course this means that you can still access the OST file when not connected to the network/Internet. Not really anything that you can do to get round that issue as that is how it is designed to work.

Simon.
                    --
                    Simon Butler
                    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Financially i am not in a position to buy a exchange license at the moment, may be later on i will think about it. I am going to give a try with archive mailboxes and Openfiler.

Will Openfiler be able to provide a logical drive on my existing exchange server in order to store my archive mailbox data base?

I have a spare server with one TB hard drive on which i can install Openfiler.

Comment

OpenFiler basically means using a server, to present a logical volume, to other serversw.

It's kind of like a SAN.

So, yes, an OpenFiler volume should be able to be presented to another server.
                        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Openfiler worked for me, it's great. I installed it, mounted the drives and shared it on my Exchange server as a logical drive. I just need to make archive data base on it now.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X