Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Configuring shared local DC and Exchange for business units having different internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring shared local DC and Exchange for business units having different internet

I want to setup Local Domain Controller and Exchange so that company can take the advantages of Active Directory and have its own Exchange for sending/receiving e-mails.

Need guidance for configuring domain controllers and exchange for the following scenario:

1. One company with two business units each has its different internet domain name
    Business Unit 1: ipmkt1.com
    Business Unit 2: ipmkt2.biz

2. Company wants to share hr such that
    [email protected] and [email protected] can be assigned to shared sales personell
    [email protected] and [email protected] can be assigned to same admin personell

3. Company wants to share phyiscal location/network/hardware/software resources therefore keeping these resources centralized

4. Setup will be done on Windows Server 2008 Std and Exchange Server 2010 Std editions.

Initial set of broad questions are:
    1. Should I go for single forest/single domain, single forest/multiple domains, multiple or separate forest for domain?
    2. How Exchange would be positioned in each of the above case?

Any reference, article, book or supporting material in this regard would be helpful to put myself on track to address this scenario.

Regards,
    IP

Re: Configuring shared local DC and Exchange for business units having different inte

What AD/Exchange experience do you have? If limited, consider a consultant -- the fee will be less that the stress of doing it yourself!

Also, what infrastructure do you have already?

I would go with one domain/forest, separate OUs per Business Unit, and separate Exchange address policies to generate the correct addresses for members of each (very standard Exchange setup). This would give benefits of a common GAL so easy to find people in the other BU. Users with both addresses can have them for a single mailbox (send from one address only) or, with Outlook 2010, can have access to two mailboxes and send from either one as required.

You will want a separate DC (physical if the only one) and Exchange Server (can be virtual), or you could consider SBS if you do not anticipate going over 75 users total. Also consider availability / redundancy and consider multiple Exchange Mailbox servers in a DAG (will require enterprise Windows). If not, have a good backup/restore strategy.

for Exchange design/planning or, if you get the chance, get some training (www.trainsignal.com, for example)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Configuring shared local DC and Exchange for business units having different inte

Thank you Ossian.
      Just want to do it myself so ready to take the stress!

With Windows Server 2008 Std/Exchange 2010 Std can afford to configure 3-4 virtual servers.

Will rely on good backup/restore strategy.

Yes as you advised, I want to keep it as simple as possible like single forest/domain model. However, just could not figure-out how two different internet domain names ipmkt1.com and ipmkt2.biz could be handled in this single forest/domain model? Remember I need to create admin or sales account for both the domains.

Will appreciate any how-to guide/reference.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Exchange will handle as many email domains as you want:
        (First two links here: http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...gc.r_pw.&cad=b)

You need to
        Configure an Accepted Domain to be able to receive email for the internet domain
        Configure an Address Policy to generate addresses to allow users to receive mail for the domain
        Configure MX records on your public DNS servers to allow mail to be delivered to your public IP
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What I've understood from your response is that :
          1. we can create local single forest/domain e.g. ipmkt.local
          2. we can create [email protected] and [email protected] AD/domains users

and Configuring Accepted Domain, E-Mail Policies, and MX

3. we can map both [email protected] and [email protected] email addresses to [email protected]; this is also then true for admin account.

Ossian, Am I correct?

Comment

Working...
          X