One (sometimes two) mailboxes have extreemly slow response time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One (sometimes two) mailboxes have extreemly slow response time

I'm troubleshooting a user with a mailbox that is 16GB on an Exchange 2010 server. The server is also running SBS 2011 but I think this is purely an Exchange issue but I'm open to suggestions. Outlook is constantly showing response times between 200 - 1000ms. The server side is showing the same:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Email_ResponseTime.png
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	468970

In the above picture the first two entries are for the mailbox with the issues and the next two are for the second largest mailbox.

So far I've tried to make sure all folders have less than 2k items. I've cleaned out the old calendar items (+5k to < 500) and the sent items (20k to 2k) but that didn't have any effect on performance.

There are lots of large emails, up to 80MB. My plan is to export his entire mailbox and slowly add back what he needs.

But the reason I'm posting is that, even though the user's mailbox is huge, the server is has a nice SAS 15k RPM RAID5 array that the database is on, 8GB of RAM (maybe a bit low), and only 10 users. All the other users have no issues except for one user that experiences slowness every once in awhile and that user also has a 14GB mailbox.

So it seems like there's something wrong with this particular user's mailbox. I did run ISInteg against the mailbox but there were not errors.

Is there anything I can do pinpoint the issue? Any other troubleshooting steps recommended?
    Last edited by JeremyW; 31st August 2011, 15:44.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: One (sometimes two) mailboxes have extreemly slow response time

I found a write-up regarding Outlook problems running slow, maybe it gives you some ideas where to investigate/change further:

http://www.networkworld.com/communit...anceInExchange.

Bringing down the size of the mailbox and the number of items in the default folders should be your first priority.
    Maybe the use of Online Archiv or something like this would be a option to go.

Comment

Re: One (sometimes two) mailboxes have extreemly slow response time

Thanks FischFra,

Looks like a really good link. I actually just spent last night archiving the user's mailbox so he's now went from 16GB to 5GB. The response times were much improved. If he continues to have issues I'll definitely go through that document.

Thanks!
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
      X