Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup a catchall account without an edge transport server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to setup a catchall account without an edge transport server?

Folks:

We have to have a catchall email account because we have a lot of different [email protected] addresses out there that people use (for better or for worse!), not to mention people who screw up email addresses with important emails.

But we do not have an edge transport server.

My understanding is that to set up a catchall account, you have to create a new email account, disable recipient filtering on the edge transport server, and then create a rule on the edge transport server to copy (or redirect) messages to the catch-all mailbox.

I assume that without an edge transport server, that filtering isn't happening at all (but that's just a guess) but even so we still need to do the redirecting.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Micah

Re: How to setup a catchall account without an edge transport server?

Recipient filering isn't a edge server only feature, you could also enable it on a Hub-Transport server.

The question is do you really want to support laziness and stupidity of people sending mails to you?
    For existing [email protected] addresses just add them to the appropriate person and there would be no problem using recipient filtering.

Personally I would not want to receive mail for non existing addresses in my mail system. If the recipient is wrong a NDR is generated and the sender can resend with the right address. Imho the better solution else they would continue to use wrong addresses. Not to mention that recipient filtering is a strong weapon fighting spam.

I think it's still possible to send copies of non-deliverable mails to the postmaster.
    Last edited by FischFra; 3rd August 2011, 12:53.

Comment

Working...
    X