No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 to 2010, unreachable destination

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 to 2010, unreachable destination

I am having an issue with maiflow from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010.
    My actual situation is:
    Exchange 2003
    - 3 mailbox servers
    - 1 front end server
    Exchange 2010
    - 2 Mailbox
    - 2 Hub servers
    - 1 Cas server
    the configuration is:
    From one server 2003 and one HUB 2010 server:
    - New-RoutingGroupConnector -Name "Interop RGC" -SourceTransportServers "" -TargetTransportServers "" -Cost 10 -Bidirectional $true -PublicFolderReferralsEnabled $true
    on the exchange 2010 HUB server I have the Internet send connector
    - SMTP:*;25 to the TrendMicro spam filter.
    - The TrendMicro`s pointer sends to the exchange 2010 hub server.
    - The receive connector on the 2010 hub server allow anonymous users.
    - I already update the Regsvr32 -u xlsasink.dll
    - Also: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RESvc\Param eters : "SuppressStateChanges"=dword:00000001

The issue is:
    From 2003 to Internet (Gmail) : works and goes through the "Interop RGC"
    From 2010 to Internet (Gmail) : works
    From Internet (Gmail) to 2003 : works and goes through the "Interop RGC"
    From Internet (Gmail) to 2010 : works
    From 2010 to 2003 ----------- : works
    From 2003 to 2010 ----------- : Fail
    - The message remain into the unreachable destination
    - in the tracking the message last line is
    SMTP: Message routed an dqueued for remote delivery
    I have tried everything I know, rebooting the servers, install another exchange 2003. The problem seems to be in AD but i don`t kwow where.
    Any help.

Re: Exchange 2003 to 2010, unreachable destination

Your RGC to connect Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2010 seems to work else sending from 2003 to Internet would not work too (you haven't another SMTP connector at Exchange 2003 have you?).

Have you tried to send to different recipients on Exchange 2010, i.e. moved ones, newly created and so on?

Does the problem only apply to recipjent communication or also to public folder hierarchy and content replication?

FischFra, Thanks for your reply.

this is right, I do not have any other connector on 2003 besides the RGC. I also tried to break the RGC and only use an SMTP with a NON Autoritative domain receipient policy. Same thing. The 2003 want to keep the for it self

As your question, yes I have created a new user on 2010, and move few more. Still the same thing. I also tried to move them across the OU to findout if for any reason some OU block domain... No success.

I will still try some other things, I have some doubt on AD... But this is a puzzle ...

I just realize that the two HUB servers 2010 are reported as "Unreachable" on the 2003 ESM status.

Because I do not have another environment, is anyone can see their HUB servers as Availlable on ESM status in exchange 2003?

Looks to be related to WMI ...

Don't expect to be able to do anything with regards to Exchange 2010 using ESM. You shouldn't attempt to modify objects within Exchange 2003 that are for Exchange 2010 - that includes the RGC, user accounts etc.

Therefore the fact that you are getting an error in ESM about Exchange 2010 doesn't surprise me and I would ignore it. Exchange 2003 can't be expected to know about Exchange 2010.

If you don't have an RGC then email will not flow between the servers at all. It is not uncommon for the RGC to not create properly during setup, so the first thing to do is remove it using remove-routinggroupconnector and then replace it using new-routinggroupconnector. The use of those commands is documented on Technet.

Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
          Exchange Resources List:
          In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Thanks for your reply Sembee,

I have found the issue I was having.

I build a second environment on a test domain with exchange 2003 and 2010. As I compare the environment. All seems to be the same but under ADSI:

CN=Interop RGC,CN=Connections,CN=MAIN,CN=Routing Groups,CN=MAIN,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=[my group],CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=[mydomain],DC=com

I compare the two records and I realyse it does not match. Several Attributes were missing. Recreating them seems to be painfull.

I remove all the group connector and perform:

setup /SchemaPrep
            Setup /prepareAD /on:mygroup <= This one was NOT the standard "First Administrative Group"

I took a coffe and recreate the Routing group connector... Bingo it works.

For some reasons, the Schema was not prepared correctly at the installation.

Thanks all for your support. Hopefully this will help others.

Exchange MA, MCITP, MCSE
            Last edited by chuk29; 1st August 2011, 19:22.