Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstall Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server

[UPDATE: I eventually figured this out. See the second and third posts]

I am trying to un-install Exchange 2010 SP1.

The Mailbox Server Role is the only role on this server.

When un-installing Exchange, I get the following error message (emphasis added):
    Mailbox Role Prerequisites
    Failed

Error:
    Uninstall cannot continue. Database 'Mailbox Database 1420323595': This mailbox database contains one or more mailboxes, mailbox plans, archive mailboxes, or arbitration mailboxes. To get a list of all mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID>. To get a list of all mailbox plans in this database, run the command Get-MailboxPlan. To get a list of archive mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Archive. To get a list of all arbitration mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Arbitration. To disable a non-arbitration mailbox so that you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID>. To disable an archive mailbox so you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Archive. Arbitration mailboxes should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command New-MoveRequest <parameters>. If this is the last server in the organization, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Arbitration -DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed to disable the arbitration mailbox. Mailbox plans should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command Set-MailboxPlan <MailboxPlan ID> -Database <Database ID>.
    Click here for help... http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...1-5c9e8ab3cfe9
    However, the Get-Mailbox command does not show any mailboxes:
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database 1420323595"

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxPlan

The term 'Get-MailboxPlan' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
    the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:16
    + Get-MailboxPlan <<<<
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-MailboxPlan:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxPlan -Database "Mailbox Database 1420323595"

The term 'Get-MailboxPlan' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
    the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:16
    + Get-MailboxPlan <<<< -Database "Mailbox Database 1420323595"
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-MailboxPlan:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database 1420323595" -Archive

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database 1420323595" -Arbitration

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>
    Although the commands
    Get-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database 1420323595"
    Get-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database 1420323595" -Archive

did not return any values, I was able to see the default user mailbox and the archive mailbox in the Exchange Management Console (EMC), where I was also able to disable them.

However, it is my understanding that the Arbitration Mailbox is a "hidden" mailbox that is not supposed to be visible in EMC.

If I can't disable or move the Arbitration Mailbox via either the EMC nor the Exchange Management Shell (EMS), how can I uninstall Exchange from this server?

Why I Am Doing This:

This is a brand new installation of Exchange 2010 SP1 Enterprise, so I am not concerned about user data.

However, there is a Database Availability Group, but neither mailbox server is a member of it, because I screwed up and used Windows 2008 R2 Standard instead of Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise. I want to uninstall and remove the two mailbox servers and stand up two more on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise servers.

Plan:

Disable, or move whatever I have to to Mailbox Server 01 (already moved Offline Address Book)
    Uninstall Exchange 2010 from Mailbox Server 02 (what I'm trying to do now).
    Stand up new Mailbox Server 02 on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.
    Disable, or move whatever I have to to new Mailbox Server 02 (such as Offline Address Book)
    Uninstall Exchange 2010 from Mailbox Server 01.
    Stand up new Mailbox Server 01 on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Last edited by Robert R.; 9th July 2011, 06:13.

Re: Uninstall Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server

After a lot of searching, I have some progress to report. The trick to seeing the Arbitration Mail Boxes is to Set-AdServerSettings:
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Set-AdServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $True
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database "Mailbox Database 1420323595"

Name Alias ServerName ProhibitSendQuota
    ---- ----- ---------- -----------------
    FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8... FederatedEmail.4c... exmbox-02 1 MB (1,048,576 bytes)
    SystemMailbox{1f05a927... SystemMailbox{1f0... exmbox-02 unlimited
    SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29... SystemMailbox{e0d... exmbox-02 unlimited

To see the full name of the mail box, pipe to either Format-List (fl) or Format-Table (ft) :

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>get-mailbox -arbitration -database "Mailbox Database 1420323595" | Format-Table name,servername

Name ServerName
    ---- ----------
    FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx exmbox-02
    SystemMailbox{1f05a927-77df-4cca-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} exmbox-02
    SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx} exmbox-02

Thanks to Jedi Hammond.

UPDATE: Some days, I just truly hate Windows.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-MoveRequest -Identity "SystemMailbox{1f05a927-77df-4cca-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}"

The operation couldn't be performed because object 'SystemMailbox{1f05a927-77df-4cca-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}' couldn't be found on 'dc.prod.x.tld'.
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [New-MoveRequest], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AC9B6CCB,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTa sks.NewMoveRequest
    Last edited by Robert R.; 8th July 2011, 22:32.

Comment

Re: Uninstall Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server

Great Success!

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-MoveRequest -Identity "FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx"

DisplayName Status TotalMailboxSize TotalArchiveSize PercentComplete
      ----------- ------ ---------------- ---------------- ---------------
      Microsoft Exchange Fed... Queued 0 B (0 bytes) 0

When I repeated the command for the next mailbox, I got the same error message about the object not found on the domain controller. Repeating the SetAdServerSettings command (see post above) did the trick. Does that setting have a time limit?

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-MoveRequest -Identity "SystemMailbox{1f05a927-77df-4cca-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}" -TargetDataBase "Mailbox Database 0480460219"

Microsoft Exchange App... Queued 0 B (0 bytes) 0

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-MoveRequest -Identity "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}" -TargetDataBase "Mailbox Database 0480460219"

Microsoft Exchange Queued 904 B (904 bytes) 0

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MoveRequest

DisplayName Status TargetDatabase
      ----------- ------ --------------
      Microsoft Exchange Approval Assistant Completed Mailbox Database 0480460219
      Microsoft Exchange Completed Mailbox Database 0480460219
      Microsoft Exchange Federation Mailbox Completed Mailbox Database 0480460219

Once the move requests are completed, they must be removed.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MoveRequest -SourceDataBase "Mailbox Database 1420323595" | Remove-MoveRequest

Confirm
      Are you sure you want to perform this action?
      Removing completed move request "Microsoft Exchange Approval Assistant".
      [Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All [?] Help (default is "Y"): y

Confirm
      Removing completed move request "Microsoft Exchange".

Confirm
      Removing completed move request "Microsoft Exchange Federation Mailbox".

After this, I was able to uninstall Exchange 2010 SP1 from mailbox server # 2.
      Last edited by Robert R.; 9th July 2011, 06:14.

Comment

Working...
      X