How to setup Exchange 2010 Server that receive Emails from service provider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to setup Exchange 2010 Server that receive Emails from service provider

I'm trying to find resources about setting up an internal exchange 2010 server in my office that retrieve all emails from a service provider and then segregate the emails to respective users in the office. The reason for maintaining an email service provider is because we do not have a reliable internet line and therefore i still want to depend on the service provider. Then the reason for exchange server is to archive the company's email and eliminate the need to keep big pst files on each PC.
    Does anyone here knows how to setup such infrastructure like this? Hope you understand what i'm trying to achieve. Thanks

Re: How to setup Exchange 2010 Server that receive Emails from service provider

So you have [email protected] accounts for each employee right?
    Best way to achieve this is to set up pop3 connector or IMAP connector and download mail from provider to your exchange server with it...

Comment

IMHO you would be better to use an SMTP forwarding service (e.g. Messagelabs) to collect emails and then your Exchange server can pick them up as and when internet connections permit.

Exchange 2010 does not have any built in POP3 collection facilities (only SBS has that) so you would require a 3rd party add in to handle the collection/mapping to Exchange accounts.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks very much for all your replies.

Do you know where i can obtain more information on this type of exchange configuration?

Thanks in advance

Comment

contact MessageLabs, and ask them for some advice.

they'll help you set up everything so they receive all your email, and then then forward it onto your internal exchange server.

that way you don't need to confiure you server to go get the mail, it just does what it should..

If you're unsure, you probably need to do a bit more basic reading into exchange before you try and sort this out.

I was were you are, about 2 years ago - i had no idea about exchange, and had to do something very similar to what you want to do. it's really important that you actually understand what you're doing, instead of just getting someone to tell you how to do it..
          If someone tells you how to do it, you're not going to understand how to support it, when it all goes to hell for some reason, and the CEOs are screaming at you because their critical business tool isn't working..

So.. if you want to ask some more pointed questions, then I'll try and answer them.. however, the question "information on this type of configuration" is going to do you no good, because the suggestion being spoken about is basically a standard exchange configuration.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If you do use messagelabs, ensure your MX records point to messagelabs and configure your internal firewall to only accept incoming emails from the messagelabs external IPs including the Exchange internet receive connector.

For more information regarding the setup, I am sure messagelabs will have some documentation.

Comment

Thanks very much for all your input. Appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
              X