Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public folder issue from 2003->2007

Hi,

I don't use public folders in Exchange 2003. However, I can see public folder instances in my Exchange 2003. In all the articles I've seen in migrating 2003 to 2007, moving PF replicas was required. If I really don't use PF in 2003, do I need to move the replicas to Exchange 2007? Are there system generated PFs that need to be moved? I was hoping not to move things when I don't intend to use them.

I need to decommision my 2003 and I wouldn't want my Exchange 2007 to have problems.

Also, if you could refer me to an easier way to cleanly remove the last Exchange 2003 in my organization and in AD. I only have one Exchange 2003 and one Exchange 2007 in my organization.

Thanks.

Phil

Re: Public folder issue from 2003->2007

As far as I know, you need to move them in a transition otherwise the database may fail to mount in Exchange 2007 or other issues once you have removed Exchange 2003 has been fully removed.

Whether you can avoid this I don't know as I have always moved them and haven't had any problems.

My first transition from Exchange 2003 to 2007 is documented here.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=26648

The Outlook clients being used will also determine whether public folders are still required.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      As far as I know, you need to move them in a transition otherwise the database may fail to mount in Exchange 2007 or other issues once you have removed Exchange 2003 has been fully removed.

Whether you can avoid this I don't know as I have always moved them and haven't had any problems.

My first transition from Exchange 2003 to 2007 is documented here.

The Outlook clients being used will also determine whether public folders are still required.
      Thanks for the quick reply. I will look at your post on this.

You are right, what I wish to prevent is to have problems with my Exchange 2007 the moment I remove 2003. If I really can't find resources on "There is no need to move PF replicas from Exchange 2003 to 2007 if you don't use them", the I am left with the option of moving them.

Actually, the Exchange 2003 server was down for about two months due to hardware issues and we never had problems since there are no more mailboxes there. Now that it is back up, I wish to cleanly remove it from the Exchange Org and my AD.

Thanks.

Phil

Comment

As Virtual already worte, it depends on the outlook clients used. If you still have Outlook 2003 in use you have to keep public folders, only Outlook 2007 and 2010 are able to function properly without public folders.

In order to remove your Exchange 2003 server the proper way, just search it up, plenty of "How-to-do"s around the net.

Comment

Originally posted by FischFra View Post
          As Virtual already worte, it depends on the outlook clients used. If you still have Outlook 2003 in use you have to keep public folders, only Outlook 2007 and 2010 are able to function properly without public folders.

In order to remove your Exchange 2003 server the proper way, just search it up, plenty of "How-to-do"s around the net.
          Hi,

We only have Outlook 2007 and 2010 in our organization.

Thanks.

Comment

As you pointed out, it sounds as if it didn't cause an issue. However, it's whether there is an issue when Exchange 2003 is uninstalled, should the public folder replica be left in the Exchange organisation. I don't know this but flagging a thought up. Nothing was effected whilst the Exchange 2003 box was powered off but when you decommission it, will it remove settings from AD that would then cause a problem, which wouldn't happen should the Public folder replica be moved.

Sembee would be the expert on this one.

Comment

Removing Exchange 2003:
              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx

Public Folders have to go away on the Exchange 2003 server, otherwise you will be unable to uninstall it. If you don't want those public folders then you need to go through the process to remove Public Folder support in Exchange 2007. That includes checking things like OAB publishing etc.

Go through the above article and the removing public folder articles on Technet.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                Removing Exchange 2003:

Public Folders have to go away on the Exchange 2003 server, otherwise you will be unable to uninstall it. If you don't want those public folders then you need to go through the process to remove Public Folder support in Exchange 2007. That includes checking things like OAB publishing etc.

Go through the above article and the removing public folder articles on Technet.

Simon.
                Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply. I understand it perfectly now. Since 2010 still supports PFs, I think the best option to ensure a clean decommissiong of 2003 is to move the PFs to 2007. In about two months time, we will be moving everything again to Exchange 2010.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                X