Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old alias cannot receive email exchange 2007

Hi

we have recently split our company up, half of it has been sold. all parts had alias's on the AD account so the user had multiple email addresses.

we have recently split from for example holidaypark2

when we send emails to [email protected] it goes to the internal AD account and not to their external account as they are no longer hosted here

i have removed holidaypark2 alias from the AD account however it still goes to their AD account here.

i have looked in exchange 2007 managenement console and i am looking for any references to holidaypark2 and i have found a reference to it in hub transport under accepted domains and also email address policies.

i don't want to go changing something that i am not sure about.

so to summarize.

we can receive emails from this holidaypark2, they do not receive from us as it is going to the AD account attached to our server. so it is going in an internal loop rather than going externally from the exchange to theirs as it thinks they are in our exchange

i think anyway ^

any help would be great

thanks

p.s now i have removed the alias from AD i get this error now

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

'[email protected]' The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

_____

Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: domain.local

[email protected]
    #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##

Original message headers:

Received: from ([::1]) by ([::1]) with mapi; Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:24:31 +0100
    Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    To: ""
    <>
    Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:24:30 +0100
    Subject: testing 123
    Thread-Topic: testing 123
    Thread-Index: Acww8HtWHxOKw8NyQDm4O+ZRMFRvTg==
    Message-ID: <[email protected]l>
    Accept-Language: en-US, en-GB
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach:
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <[email protected]l>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Last edited by techmob; 22nd June 2011, 16:26.

Re: old alias cannot receive email exchange 2007

Has a shared namespace between the companies been setup or are they moving to a different SMTP name?

If they are using a different SMTP domain name and they require to receive their old emails, you could set up an external contact for them and forward the emails to them.

Also, is this is a temporary solution?

If you can let us know what you want to achieve. Recently, I had a scenario where a shared namespace was required and we needed to control the mail flow for unresolved recipients, so we allowed two different Exchange organisations to relay with each other and setup the relevant SMTP connectors. It depends on your scenario. For example, to allow unresolved recipients for a specific SMTP address space to be forwarded to another Exchange organisation also configured to accept those emails, the following Power Shell command was used.

New-SendConnector -Name "Internal Relay" -Custom -AddressSpaces NameofSharedSMTPNamespace -SmartHosts IP of the Remote Exchange Organisation Accepting Mail Delivery -SourceTransportServers NameOftheRelavantExchangeServerSendingTheMail

Comment

You need to remove it from your accepted domains. As long as it remains there Exchange will attempt to find internal users with the aforementioned email addresses.

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the replies

The company is now seperate. they have kept the same email addresses as before so all i want is to have their email address seperate to us.

They are not using the same mail system anymore not entirely sure how they are setup

if i try and remove it from the accepted domains it comes up with the following

microsoft exchange error - cannot remove the domain because it is referenced by the proxy address template smtp.%g.%[email protected]

i have also removed it from the email policy which has the same reference so not sure why it won't let me delete it from the accepted domains?

Comment

i followed this link
          http://smtp25.blogspot.com/2009/08/c...use-it-is.html

i have the same problem as explained on that link

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Phil/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

however when i edit the default email policy i get the message that is had been created with legacy version of exchange and doesn't let me edit

Comment

i had to use ADSIEDIT to edit the default policy and remove the reference, it then let me remove the accepted domain

however it still receives to the internal AD account. i will remove the alias to that address from that account to see

Edit: i get an error

remote host said : 550 5.7.1 unable to relay

Edit 2: i have added the domain to the accepted domains and have changed it to external relay and i no longer get an error

i will just have to see if that person gets it now

-------------

what i have done :

I couldnt edit the accepted domain, which was set to relay internal. i couldnt also remove it. i couldnt edit the default email policy that the domain had a reference to because it was done with 2003. i had to use that ADSIDIT to edit it and remove the reference. i then deleted the accepted domain. It still didn't work and i got an error sending to it as it was still looking internally for some reason

i then recreated the accepted domain but set it as an external relay

i now dont get an error, i dont receive it internally and the message has been sent

do you think i have done it right?
            Last edited by techmob; 22nd June 2011, 20:00.

Comment

Well they are still not receiving the emails.

not sure what else i need to do. first time i have worked on an exchange server

any help would be appreciated

i have removed the domain.com from the accepted domains and default email policy. there is no alias to the domain.com in the AD account of the old user.

however i get an error Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

which i believe it is trying to find an internal contact on the exchange, but i don't want it to look internally.

not sure where the connectors are on the exchange, i am using message labs as a send connector, not sure if it is related to that?
              Last edited by techmob; 23rd June 2011, 10:22.

Comment

Hi,
                let me recap a bit since there are lot of information.
                1. After the separation there are 2 different messaging environment, there are no dedicated mail connector, the mail routing is going through the Internet.
                2. You receive emails from hollidaypark2 however you can't send emails to them;
                3. Hollidaypack2 has an up an running mail system, the issue is only receiving emails from your organization;
                4. You removed the Hollidaypack2 from the accepted domain's list.

To verify, run get-accepteddomain Powershell command;
                Did you try to use Mail flow troubleshooter and/or Tracking log explorer from EMC?

Br,
                Csaba
                Regards,
                Csaba Papp
                MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
                Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Hi netxt

thanks for that

1. After the separation there are 2 different messaging environment, there are no dedicated mail connector, the mail routing is going through the Internet.

Correct

2. You receive emails from hollidaypark2 however you can't send emails to them;

Correct

3. Hollidaypack2 has an up an running mail system, the issue is only receiving emails from your organization;

Correct

4. You removed the Hollidaypack2 from the accepted domain's list.

Correct

------------------------------------

Today i contacted messagelabs and they got the same relay error. turns out the holidaypark2 domain had changed mx record and message labs was still pointing back to my ip

hopefully it will all work again tomorrow.

i will update this thread then

thanks for your help

Comment

This is bizzare....

all externail emails are now working and i can now send to the domain i had an issue with.

the problem was because the mx record has changed and then someone made a mistake and changed all my domains to an incorrect smtp router which shafted all my domain emails

however that was resolved

but now one of my existing domains which is going to be migrated to the same host as the domain i previously had trouble with

original domain = holidaypark 2 (is now resolved)

the other domain holidaypark 3 is still with us and on my exchange but due to move on Tuesday morning however holidaypark3 emails now go to the internal accounts of holiday2 old internal email accounts here, instead via the new smtp route (could it be that it hasn't propagated yet, it was changed 6 hours ago?.

currently the holidaypark3 domain is set to route through messagelabs and then through our IP, the other domain holidaypark 2 is routing through a different external smtp

sorry if the above doesn't make sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X