Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange Server Mailbox manual cleanup investigation ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server Mailbox manual cleanup investigation ?

Hi Everyone,

During my half yearly Exchange mailbox investigation, I found out that there are some items that cannot be deleted manually:

1. System Mailbox (they exist in every mailbox database with 0 bytes but contains several hundreds items each)

2. Deleted User Mailboxes still exist in the mailbox database eventhough I already select "Remove" from the EMC not "Disconnect" to delete the leaving user.

is there anything that I should do to completely delete those mailboxes ?

As for reclaiming disk space I have set the full backup everyday.

Re: Exchange Server Mailbox manual cleanup investigation ?

1. Leave the System Mailbox alone.

2. Do you have Mailbox Database maintenence scheduled? If not, the mailboxes won't be removed.

3. Backing up the database will not reclaim disk space from the database. You need to perform an offline defrag to reclaim disk space from the database.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post

2. Do you have Mailbox Database maintenence scheduled? If not, the mailboxes won't be removed.

3. Backing up the database will not reclaim disk space from the database. You need to perform an offline defrag to reclaim disk space from the database.
      thanks for the reply Joe,

1. I guess I cannot or should not delete this mailboxes for some reason ?

2. I assume it is automatically run in the background, where can I check this setting ? once I've found it what is the best time to schedule it because my Exchange full backup is taking everyday after 7:15 PM until 6 AM in the morning.

3. ah, IC it is too risky then, so from my understanding the database files (.edb) can only grow larger but can't shrink down eventhough there are some large mailboxes deleted (or archived into Symantec EV).

Comment

1. Yes. It's a system mailbox and best to be left alone.

2. You can check it on the properties of the mailbox database under server configuration. I would suggest running it before or after, but not during, your backup window.

3. Yes, they won't shrink on their own.

Comment

1. Yes. It's a system mailbox and best to be left alone.

2. You can check it on the properties of the mailbox database under server configuration. I would suggest running it before or after, but not during, your backup window.

3. Yes, they won't shrink on their own.
          ok, understood mate for option #1

as for number 2, I have experimente and found a way to delete it forcefully from the system using this powershell:

Code:
          Get-MailboxStatistics -database "server\database" | where {$_.disconnectdate -ne $null} | foreach {Remove-mailbox -database $_.database -storemailboxidentity $_.mailboxguid}

Comment

why would you delete it forcibly, instead of using the designed and included tools do to it normally ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What's the default tool included ?
              Is it using powershell ?

The reason i ask is because it is never get deleted automatically.

Comment

Joe, From the database maintenance plan in the Mbx server, it seems that my maintenance window for DB is 12-4 AM while the full backup is running from 7:15 PM until 8 AM in the morning, i wonder if the full backup halts the mailbox maintenance process ?

Comment

yep.. run the mbx maintenance either before, or after, the backup is complete.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X