No announcement yet.

Help with hidingthe GAL from users and users from the GAL

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with hidingthe GAL from users and users from the GAL

Here is my current situation, Exchange 2007 running on Server 2008. We currently have approximately 50 users on the exchange server. We also use another 300-400 email address hosted and managed by our ISP for our support staff. Currently I am having difficulties with the management tools provided by our ISP not being available and having to call or email the ISP in order to make any changes to those emails, and the inability to send to anymore than 25 of the ISP host email addresses at any one time do to restrictions on their spam filter.

At this point I have two options as I see it both of which present me with some difficulties.
    1) Keep everything as it is with the ISP hosted email addresses add them as contacts to exchange and create groups of 25 or fewer users for mass mailing (our organization is set up such that this wouldn’t be hard to organize in a logical method). However I do not want these contacts or groups to appear in the GAL.
    2) Buy the appropriate number of Exchange licenses and setup up all of the support staff users on the Exchange server. Create a single group (or possibly multiple groups depending on decisions made above my level) for the mass mail outs to the support staff. Again I do not want to have all 300-400 users to appear in the GAL I also do not want these new users to have access to the GAL.
    Any suggestions on how to setup and hide either the users, or contacts and groups created from the GAL and how to hide the GAL from the users if that is the way I end up going would be appreciated. Also is there a specific administrative role in exchange 2007 that would allow me to assign a user the ability to move the users between groups and reset their passwords etc, but not create new users or make any other changes to the exchange organization.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Re: Help with hidingthe GAL from users and users from the GAL

Unless things have changed since I last looked, users get as default the largest address list that they have permission to see, which is normally the GAL.

If you want to hide the GAL from a user, create a custom address list containing the email addresses you want them to see and then deny permission to the GAL.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

I have read the post regarding hiding the GAL from one or two users and it seems like this would work, however with 300-400 users and this would be time conmsuming to implement, is there a way to hide the GAL from an entire OU ie. could it be set through a group policy for that OU. These users will only be accessing their mail through OWA if that makes any difference.

Roles based administration is a new feature of Exchange 2010. I don't think you can get as granular as you wish in Exchange 2007.

You have two options.
        1. Hide all those users from the GAL. However that will give you problems with Outlook configuration. Shouldn't be an issue with OWA.
        2. Use Address List segregation to split the users in to their own GAL. This must be done as documented on Technet to be supported, and is currently only supported on Exchange 2007.

If the ISP is allowing you to have 300 users on their platform but you can't email all of those users at the same time, then I don't think the ISP is really up to the job. That is like owning a Ferrari and only being allowed to drive at 30mph and use two gears.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Thank you both for your advice, I have been able to give my management a proposal now that I think they will accept, and I believe I will be going forward with 300-400 new users on our exchange server in the next week or so.